Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

E30 Cluster + Instrument Backlight Qn

Now before anyone jumps at me, I have searched this, the 5 most recent pages of posts under the above keywords doesn't fully help me with my problem.

Have a facelift e30 316i, motormeter cluster.

Firstly, the backlights don't work for my e30 cluster gauges and the heater control knobs etc. I have no radio as custom gauges are now situated in there. The power for backlight of the custom fitted gauges (there are 2) are off the rear ashtray and the other is off the cigarette lighter light connections.

I have a ignition kill switch, running off the main ignition wire, and the gauges are also running off there as well.

The service indicator lights and all the other lights e.g indicators etc all light up on the cluster. The fuses are all fine from what I can gather, and the bulbs that go behind the gauges with the orange backlit plastic are all fine.

Here are my potential thoughts as to why it's not working:

- The custom fitted gauges are earthed at the gauge side of their circuit, but not on their sender side, will this cause some of the original e30 lighting to not work cos it's running off the same ignition circuit?

- Is there a yellow plug that is mean't to go in the back of my cluster? There is a socket but no plug to go in there

- The radio power is causing a incomplete circuit because none of the wires required are used anymore? Including the power for the radio.

- The service indicator lights up, but the batteries may still be stuffed in the cluster causing the backlights to not work? (Read this in a google search)

- My ignition kill switch is screwing up the circuit somehow?

Sorry for the long post, after reading the latest sticky about posting I thought I better be as transparent as possible about a question.

I am no electrician, but can provide pics, descriptions to the best of my ability.

Thanks, Nathan

Edited by Brams

my cluster had a yellow plug for the yellow socket,pretty sure thats ya problem

pic to show where my yellow socket is

post-3670-1235945942_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jamez

my cluster had a yellow plug for the yellow socket,pretty sure thats ya problem

pic to show where my yellow socket is

I can't find it anywhere haha.

I forgot to add my car is non power steer, which may explain the missing plug?

ummm power steering is all in the pump and pully, no electrics

ummm power steering is all in the pump and pully, no electrics

I mean't as in a missing light on the cluster.

Anyone? Surely someone with more knowledge knows what I have mucked up.

Or the coil thing for the light dimmer/brightner on the pull light switch may have burned out?? Just found that on e30tech maybe?

Edit: Yellow plug is for the OBC which my car isnt optioned with so its not that.

Edited by Brams

Bump for really annoying me can someone electonically minded suggest anything I need to get a warrant.

where did you find the info on what the yellow plug is? i dont have obc in my car but i have the plug for it :huh:

where did you find the info on what the yellow plug is? i dont have obc in my car but i have the plug for it :huh:

e30tech.com