Sign in to follow this  
BM WORLD

IT'S ALIVE (THE M535i)

just fitted a new transistor into the ECU tonight ,chucked it into the car and it started first crank ,.

after a bit of research found the main output trany in the coil switching stage was shorted (from last owner jumping it with 24volts) had trouble identifing what the part was (specially made for bosch),after talking to few people found out its just a std high voltage switching trany .replaced it with a TIP665 soldered it in with a little mod (old trany had 3 legs ,new one only 2) put it in the car ,and away it went .

just need to do some rust work ,rebuild the cam and head ,recolour the upholstery ,replace all the worn drivetrain ,front&rear bushes ,front windscreen and it will be a new car.

also just picked a 1982 635csiA tonight its done 192000miles ,silver ,black leather recaros ,fresh paint over rust . looks ok ,drives well ,had a reco'd engine at some point ,

that makes 8 bmw's in the back yard at the moment .anybody want some .

Posted ImagePosted ImageMy Webpage go to page 10

post-2-1096973337.jpg

That's some fine work you've done there, how does it sound, have you driven it?

Haha, your back yard has more bimmers than an auckland meet :lol:

God have mercy on you poor wife! HAHAHA - sum1 give her a medal 

Your either Female or batting for the other team with comments like that!!!

Someone give Brent a medal for:

1. Figuring out how to get her thumb off his forehead!

AND

2. Figuring out how to keep his thumb on hers, or dare I say it, chained to the kitchen.

**quickley runs and hides before any wives (my own especially) / Girl Friends / Feminists read this**

AND

2. Figuring out how to keep his thumb on hers, or dare I say it, chained to the kitchen.

**quickley runs and hides before any wives (my own especially) / Girl Friends / Feminists read this**

Glenn

Your a brave man openly typing what the rest of us are too scared too (even though we secretly think it).

Brent, nice work - what are the plans for the 635?

Cheers

go the e28s :mosh:

wow brent you have a cool lineup of cars, any sensors floating round yet?

or any 5spd m30 boxes floatin round?

AND

Glenn

Your a brave man openly typing what the rest of us are too scared too (even though we secretly think it).

Brent, nice work - what are the plans for the 635?

Cheers

yes my poor wife ,has to put up with cars all over the place ,had to resort to pushing 2 of them the other day just so she could mow the grass underneth .which was looking a bit sad .

the 635 is for sale .email me retrah1@wave.co.nz

brent i want to know how you came to replace that transistor...must have been abot more to it than

after a bit of research found the main output trany in the coil switching stage was shorted

did you get my email about a few small bits

brent i want to know how you came to replace that transistor...must have been abot more to it than did you get my email about a few small bits

i ahve a good freind who is a technician (radio /tv etc) GOT HIM TO HAVE A quick look at it ,he measuredthe trany as a dead short ,he didn't know what it was

( special custom trany made for bosch) did a little research on the net ,found a circuit diagram for a porsche 911/944 the same as bmw jusyt different maps .

talked to another audio tech ,he did some work with electronic ignition systems in the 80 /90's u found the trany was in the coil switching section .

he sugested the TIP665 (high voltage darlington NPN ,fast switching)brought that off him for $10 ( abit cheaper than $3000 for new ECU) 2nd hand they are rare ,$200-$300 .

so i fitted it in and it started first turn .

ps.what small bits are you after .whats your email address .