Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

E34 540i 1993 - Sound from drivers footwell?

Hey guys,

In the last day or two Ive noticed this strange sound coming from the drivers footwell.

Its not always there - but has been for the last couple of times I have turned the car on, its like a whirring fan sound.

At first I thought it was a firewall seal letting engine noise in but it switches on and off sometimes - I'm guessing its a cooling fan for a device or something under the dash above the accelerator area?

Could anyone shed any light on this?

Hey guys,

In the last day or two Ive noticed this strange sound coming from the drivers footwell.

Its not always there - but has been for the last couple of times I have turned the car on, its like a whirring fan sound.

At first I thought it was a firewall seal letting engine noise in but it switches on and off sometimes - I'm guessing its a cooling fan for a device or something under the dash above the accelerator area?

Could anyone shed any light on this?

there is a fan mounted at the bottom of the ecu box which draws air in frm the cabin just above your right foot . maybe the fan is a little tied , they are a 2 speed unit and they is a temp probe in the box to control its speed.

i have replacements if needed. or maybe some rubbish has got in there and rubbing on the fan blade

I had a similar intermittent problem on my '93 540. I never did work out what the problem was! (Sorry!)

It sounds like Brent is onto something.

I'd be interested if you work this out. Let us know.

Hey Mike, as for other strange sounds from the 540, do you hear the sound that comes from somewhere in the middle of the dash about 30 seconds after you turn the engine off? I always pondered what that sound was. It's like five short mechanical/electrical sounds, very faint, but audible if all else is quiet. The sound comes from near where the alarm LED flasher is.

Hey Mike, as for other strange sounds from the 540, do you hear the sound that comes from somewhere in the middle of the dash about 30 seconds after you turn the engine off? I always pondered what that sound was. It's like five short mechanical/electrical sounds, very faint, but audible if all else is quiet. The sound comes from near where the alarm LED flasher is.

thats all the vent servo motors closing the flaps one after another