Sign in to follow this  
Carl

E30 won't start, it's got no spark captain!

It turns over but won't fire.

All fuses checked okay.

Pulled out 6th spark plug and test started with it grounded and there's no spark

Smelt fuel on the plug but can't be sure that it's getting fuel and I don't have a stethescope to check that the injectors are working so can't be sure if it's a spark only issue or an engine management system issue.

The coil has 12v across it when in run position but could still be a coil issue.

I have swapped the ECU with my spare one and that didn't fix it so it's not a faulty ECU issue.

Pulled the crank sensor off to test that but couldn't see how to test it as it's a solid device that didn't want to come apart so cleaned it and stuck it back.

Not sure which relays to check (nor how TBH) so at this point looking for advice.

Looks like grass gymkhana is not going to happen :(

Edited by pando

So no one has any idea what to do with a car that's got no spark?

Would replacing all the coil and/or relays from matching running E30 be a good start?

So no one has any idea what to do with a car that's got no spark?

Would replacing all the coil and/or relays from matching running E30 be a good start?

Sounds like wat my e30 used to do (mainly after it rained).try jump starting but put the negitive lead to the rocker cover. if that works u just need to add a extra earth strap to the head.

have you check the dizzy cap and rotor.

changes main realys for ecu and fuel pump etc .

Forgot to ask, anyone with a e30 want to drive over on the weekend and let me try out their bits  ;)

Motronic 1.3

Edited by pando

As mentioned above check dizzy and rotor.

Also check you haven't mixed up the two sensors, IE crank angle sensor and the no.6 spark plug sensor, as this will cause this issue, swap them around to test it out, they have no markings or indicators that they are different, they USED to, one plug used to be grey, and one black, but for some reason the plugs are both identical now and very easy to mix up.

Edited by QuickSilver

So what am I looking for with the dizzy and rotor, that they are there, that the rotor is contacting and the arm not broken???

As for relays, i'm assuming it's the group in the fuse box and not the ones behind the glove box?

Did you read my bit about the plugs? Seriously its SO common.

Check all the points, obvious signs of wear.

Have you actually tried a different set of spark plugs? They themselves can cause crazy grief.

I read it but the car has been running fine then just stopped so won't be a plug mismatch and given that it has been running fine then just stopped I doubt that it's the spark plugs - they are the oem bosch plugs.