Sign in to follow this  
bravo

WTB:sub-box

To fit e30 boot.

I want a 35L sealed box, but could run ported with this sub in a box around 47L, so any box from 30L to 50L will do as if its above 40L I'll just cut a hole in it and shove a port in.

So that also means if you have a ported box around 40-50L that's OK too, port diameter should be around 75-80mm, and I'll just put one the right length in.

@75mm I need a 150mm long port.

I don't are if it comes with terminals or is carpeted. I can tidy that up myself.

Important things are size, good construction, fairly low weight if possible, and cheap.

Thanks.

To fit e30 boot.

I want a 35L sealed box, but could run ported with this sub in a box around 47L, so any box from 30L to 50L will do as if its above 40L I'll just cut a hole in it and shove a port in.

So that also means if you have a ported box around 40-50L that's OK too, port diameter should be around 75-80mm, and I'll just put one the right length in.

@75mm I need a 150mm long port.

I don't are if it comes with terminals or is carpeted. I can tidy that up myself.

Important things are size, good construction, fairly low weight if possible, and cheap.

Thanks.

I pulled on out from the e30, can't remember waht size though sorry, can measure it up tomorrow. I had it sealed up against the rear firewall with some foam and coach bolts to hold it there. Might be a bit of a mission to get it up north though.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=8920

Edited by Mike

I have a mate that builds some nice boxes if you get stuck.

Posted Image

Jamie 0272707426.

Yeah, I can build my own, but I'm lazy, and want something lighter than what I have right now. Would be keen to find out what vol. yours is mike - total vol - I'll deduct woofer displacement.

My current setup I built to fit snug in the boot, and was a false wall with the box behind so the boot was smaller, but it looked as thought the sub was mounted in the firewall. Weighs a ton though and I've pulled it out because I'm sick of lugging it around. My system goes pretty hard without it, but I miss the sub.

hence the reason to go to a smaller sealed box. Sort of a compromise between sound performance and weight aka vehicle performance.

The current box is around 110L! 58L of enclosure+3.3L of sub, plus 24L of rectangular port +25L of 16mm MDF. MASSIVE! but it goes hard and sounds sweet considering its a cheap sub.

I aim to halve the size, drop half the weight (by going smaller and sealed or using plastic port, not mdf port) and end up with not too much difference in sound.

Edited by bravo

Withdrawn. Got the skill saw out and chopped 300mm off the end of my current box. Was restricted to how small I could go as I had mounted the sub smack in the middle, but got the box down to total displacement of 64L. As there was some empty space behind the box I'd left for another amp, I probably gain about 55L of boot space.

Net enclosure size is 49.5L. Still bigger than it needs to be, but it is a cheapish sub, so needs a bigger box to get a decent result.

Thats a few boxes of beer on the next camping trip.

Weight is still an issue, but must have lost 6-7 kg??? maybe. (no scales).

Still going vented as too big for sealed.

Graphed the new box design and I had to raise the tuning frequency slightly, which means it drops out earlier (-3db @ 34Hz vs 33Hz for the old box,), and the SPL is slightly lower below 50Hz.

Will test it tomorrow after a trip down the road to buy a new vent the right size.

Edited by bravo

Contact StreetSoundz In welly.

Ask about there soundstream boxes. They are made for spl. They are great boxes 10,12,15" boxes also dual if needed.

They are a slot ported. makes a massive difference from cheap repco box.

Also what sort of sub will you be putting into it.

But would reccomend making own box. As can change specs easly.

P.S. Thicker the mdf the better. But more weight.

http://www.ryda.com.au/Soundstream-SS-12L-...Box-p/ss12l.htm

Edited by DunzzersE30

Cheers dude.

I have always made my own boxes, but was feeling lazy. Didn't find what I wanted, so I did it myself .

result:

Posted Image

But thanks anyway.

Oh Hey no problem.

If ya even want an upgrade. they would be a great one.

Like how ya made a custom cut for the boot latch ;D