Sign in to follow this  
Graham m5

m5 Wheels

I wouldl like all your input on a decision for me. I am thinking of changing my wheels on my m5 but i dont know weather to sell them or do a deal with somebody for some new ones. They are original throwing stars so if anybody interested in some ideas because i cannot make up my mind

Its a simple answer from me really. Dont do it.

You have a cracking example of an M5 and you would devalue it greatly (IMO) if you put anything else on it.

I agree with Martyn.

If you want new wheels, keep the old ones. I think the kind of buyer who appreciates an old M5 will want the throwing stars.

Unless you put turbines on it.... Mmmmm turbines.

Posted Image

Unless you put turbines on it.... Mmmmm turbines.

I realise turbines are "stock", but to me they just look like hub caps.

Stick with the throwing stars.

My understanding was that turbines were designed to actually channel air into the brakes. That alone makes them cool :)

I would agree that they are seriously 80's retro though and that throwing stars are by far the better looking.

I realise turbines are "stock", but to me they just look like hub caps.

Stick with the throwing stars.

+1 Too much like hub caps :(

As for selling throwing stars... don't do it!

Get whatever set you want in the mean time but you really want to keep the stock wheels man.

Aren't you selling the car mate?

Hi i was but when you see a m3 with no history etc go for more money than what i was asking for mine, it made me think that i was giving mine away being the first ever m5 e34 in N.Z and with the one off spec of mine as well as having full history etc it just seemed slightly frustrating that a car like this will not sell for $14.000, and the amount of timewasters and tyre kickers was just becoming a joke

Hi i was but when you see a m3 with no history etc go for more money than what i was asking for mine, it made me think that i was giving mine away being the first ever m5 e34 in N.Z and with the one off spec of mine as well as having full history etc it just seemed slightly frustrating that a car like this will not sell for $14.000, and the amount of timewasters and tyre kickers was just becoming a joke

What you have to remember though is that people are always more likely to look at M3's rather than M5's simply because they perceive them as being cheaper to maintain. They will also think that the M3 is going to be a much faster, more nimble car.

Give it time mate. I dont think your going to sell something like that in a couple of weeks. Ive seen a couple of M5's come up in the last 12 months. Some have been asking well over 20k, those that Ive seen sell have gone for much much less. There arent many buyers around at the moment and those that are looking to buy are having to sell first.

i am prettty sure the turbines and throwing stars will both fit onto the same actual wheel.In some ways you guys are right with your "hub caps" comments,but they apply to the throwing stars too,they are in fact covers over the light alloy wheel,so Graham you can maybe have BOTH options!

The only other option imho would be the M parrallels that came on the late e34 3.8 M5s

Edited by kiwi535

Keep it on the throwing stars Graham. The turbine covers were standard on some cars in other markets but our cars were specified with the throwing stars which i believe wern't standard fit until the 91 model year. There is an option of 9.5" rears but they would only be on special order at $$$$$$$$

I agree with your sentiments on value and timewasters - particularly the prat from Auckland who drove both cars and didn't bother calling back. Been there before!!!!!

I'm not even advertising my car now because it is too good and i would rather keep it than see it go to someone who doesn't appreciate what a real ///M car is.

Keep it on the throwing stars Graham. The turbine covers were standard on some cars in other markets but our cars were specified with the throwing stars which i believe wern't standard fit until the 91 model year. There is an option of 9.5" rears but they would only be on special order at $$$$$$$$

I agree with your sentiments on value and timewasters - particularly the prat from Auckland who drove both cars and didn't bother calling back. Been there before!!!!!

I'm not even advertising my car now because it is too good and i would rather keep it than see it go to someone who doesn't appreciate what a real ///M car is.

I could not agree more with you Bruce, i know you have dealt with some of the timewasters i have. I am now keeping mine so we will have to do a photo session soon

No such thing as 9.5" throwing stars. The widest were on the 850CSi's at 17x9" on the rear. The M-Par's on both E31's and E34 M5's were 9.5" rear though

Keep the T-Stars, they are way too hard to get if you ever want a set again. Then again..................they would look primo on my E3 lol.