Sign in to follow this  
Tsyon213

Changing Transmission Fluid

My 1988 318i E30 (auto) is in desperate need of a transmission fluid change. I was just wondering if anyone here had a link to, or could tell me, how to do it myself

To do it properly you will need a pan gasket & filter as well... only use G3 full synthetic oil when you do it as well.. if unsure...get a professional to do it for you

How much fluid will i need and where can i obtain a filter from and for how much? Cheers

Where in Auckland are you ??

Sorry to keep asking but it really does need to be changed soon. How much would i need and where can i get it from?

Sorry to keep asking but it really does need to be changed soon. How much would i need and where can i get it from?

Ring Nick or Mel @ Spare parts. BM Workshop Grey Lynn Ph. 3761250. They will be able to do the gasket & filter and should be able to supply you the oil as well. You will need between 4-5 litres...depends on how long you let it drain for after taking the filter off. I would suggest draining it for at least half an hour after removing the pan & filter.

This allows the torque convertor and valve body to drain. You wont get all the oil out. But thats the best you can do.

Does anyone know where i could get my wheel alignment and transmission fluid changed for a decent rate?

Cheers

Does anyone know where i could get my wheel alignment and transmission fluid changed for a decent rate?

Cheers

Given Glenn has helped you so far in this thread, how about Botany Motorworx for the transmission fluid. I'll let him tell you if he does wheel alignments, coz I have no idea.

Yeah id definately go there i just need to get the wheels aligned asap. I think i got quoted like $180 for changing the transmission fluid a couple months ago and would need to get the transmission fluid changed in a week or so

Edited by Tsyon213

Yeah id definately go there i just need to get the wheels aligned asap. I think i got quoted like $180 for changing the transmission fluid a couple months ago and would need to get the transmission fluid changed in a week or so

I cant do it for $180. With filter, pan gasket, labour and oil (G3 full synthetic).....doing it properly would cost more. And yes I can get the alignment done too $65

How much for the transmission fluid change as well? the place that quoted me probably wouldnt do as good a job or use the correct oil

Jesus. How many times are you gonna ask this question FFS?

How much for the transmission fluid change as well? the place that quoted me probably wouldnt do as good a job or use the correct oil

Ring Glenn and talk to him, he's very helpful.

Jesus. How many times are you gonna ask this question FFS?

I was asking glenn specifically since he gave me a price on the wheel alignment and as a student i am not exactly rolling in cash. But thank you for your helpful comment Edited by Tsyon213