Sign in to follow this  
laadeelaa

Clink Clink?

Hey all,

Just wondering, what the hell is the noise my car is making?

Ever since I got my new springs in (i think) it makes a clinking sound everytime I go over bumps. Like driving along, it almost sounds like a loose thin piece of metal vibrating or hitting something else.

I'm thinking it's something to do with my suspension, I've had a lye under my car and had a fiddle, but nothing seems to be making that sound when i hit it.

Yeah. It's not a major, but it's just so annoying, cos it's constantly clinking when I drive along on uneven roads (which is pretty much everywhere in Hamilton and Tauranga!).

Thanks.

It could be many things. Why didnt you ask me to check it while you were here last week ??

She was too pre-occupied with your knob obviously. Totally forgot to get you to check her under carriage.

Edited by bravo

OH dammit Glen.

Too busy drinking back your fluids to remember.

But yeah. Does someone know how to fix it??

Those sorts of noises can be really hard to find. Sometimes helps if you can get a passenger to help. Could be a million things.

I'll be in htown tomorrow

But im pretty useless with cars lol

Now, thats an original "hook up" line ? :P

(No offence intended)

Gotta get that plastic protector thingy underneath off and have a proper look. I really think its coming from under the car not the spring as you can hear it from the passenger side clearly also

Glenn would've to check it out been ideal as hes got hoists in the shop. Can really get under her easy, I've seen him :ph34r:

Now, thats an original "hook up" line ? :P

(No offence intended)

None taken my friend :lol:

Edited by jordy

Funny how i've asked for help.

And nothing has really eventuated towards advice.

Thanks Bs.

Apart from Glenn. Thanks for your help!

Hey all,

Just wondering, what the hell is the noise my car is making?

Ever since I got my new springs in (i think) it makes a clinking sound everytime I go over bumps. Like driving along, it almost sounds like a loose thin piece of metal vibrating or hitting something else.

I'm thinking it's something to do with my suspension, I've had a lye under my car and had a fiddle, but nothing seems to be making that sound when i hit it.

Yeah. It's not a major, but it's just so annoying, cos it's constantly clinking when I drive along on uneven roads (which is pretty much everywhere in Hamilton and Tauranga!).

Thanks.

Are your springs captive?

maybe its rubbing to

Are your springs captive?

maybe its rubbing to

I believe they're captive...maybe strut size??

I believe they're captive...maybe strut size??

Maybe, i think you no more about cars than me, im amateur as

Is your exhaust heatshield under the car loose? That would make a clinking sound

Is your exhaust heatshield under the car loose? That would make a clinking sound

Wouldn't have a clue!

O i do know though that my exhaust is loose, and knocks the side of the rear bumper? maybe its that. Makes a real metal sound

You've asked a very vague and difficult question. More people than Glenn made helpful suggestions.

Sarcasm towards those trying to help you will not get you help in the future. Although I do admit some of the responses are less than helpful (my first one included).

I'll repeat my previous advice in detail as maybe I wasn't clear:

The information you provide is very scant - you don't say exactly where the sound is coming from. Noises like these are sometimes VERY difficult to find even if you are able to check over the car. Almost impossible to guess over the internet. I could start listing possible things to check but I'd still be here typing next week. It could literally be one of a hundred things.

Get a passenger to help determine where the noise is coming from. Go to a garage or a friends, jack it up or put it on the hoist and try and figure it out. Then come back here and thank us for giving you good advice.

Edited by bravo

You've asked a very vague and difficult question. More people than Glenn made helpful suggestions.

Sarcasm towards those trying to help you will not get you help in the future. Although I do admit some of the responses are less than helpful (my first one included).

I'll repeat my previous advice in detail as maybe I wasn't clear:

The information you provide is very scant - you don't say exactly where the sound is coming from. Noises like these are sometimes VERY difficult to find even if you are able to check over the car. Almost impossible to guess over the internet. I could start listing possible things to check but I'd still be here typing next week. It could literally be one of a hundred things.

Get a passenger to help determine where the noise is coming from. Go to a garage or a friends, jack it up or put it on the hoist and try and figure it out. Then come back here and thank us for giving you good advice.

I just asked if someone had an idea of what it'd be - as someone may have encountered the same as me.

I've figured the sound is coming from each front wheel area.

I'm not a genious on the exact position, as I wouldn't obviously be asking the question as I would have figured it out myself.

I'd had a tapp around underneath the car, and can't find anything. It's got something to do with the wheel area of suspension.

I asked the question in search of advice, not to be talked to like a dumb ass. I've given all the knowledge of what I know of the problem.

I also asked as I don't want to take it in somewhere and pay and arm and a leg for labour etc.

Fair enough - so it happens as the front wheels hit a bump (say a sped hump?), but not the rear ones?

Fair enough - so it happens as the front wheels hit a bump (say a sped hump?), but not the rear ones?

Right about the rare wheels. They don't seem to make a noise (within my knowledge). The clink happens more often. As I'll be driving down the road and it'll be like frequently. It's happening on most roads, not as much on newish smooth roads. So the uneveness of the road causes the clinking.

I'm thinking its probably not the suspension itself probably. Likely cause is the loose exhaust or heat shield. If something is loose in the suspension you would notice more fo a clunk than a clink if you know what I mean.

Is it a definite clink with the larger bumps or does it end up more of a metallic rattle over smaller bumps.

Is it a definite clink with the larger bumps or does it end up more of a metallic rattle over smaller bumps.

Well. It makes a big bang when I drive over big bumps (usually going on average 50km and up) and mettalic rattles in smaller bumps (eg. normal crappy nz roads).

i think loose exhaust, as it sounds exactly the problem i had

My advice would be to take it to a pit stop, find one that dosent look busy, in my experience their good at putting it on a lift taking a look and genuinely trying to help.