Sign in to follow this  
nordschleife

E39 Electronic Upgrades

Hi All,

All going well by the end of the week I will have a E39 on my driveway. Its a pretty high spec 1999 model with TV, phone, leather, heated seats, etc.

My knowledge of BMWs to date has mostly focused on E46 M3s. What I would like to know is firstly, what plug in options (AV input, iPod integration, etc) are available for a E39 of this year?

In terms of iPod integration is it worthwhile controlling the iPod from the radio / steering wheel controls? Youtube clips I have seen look as though the radio is very slow to react. Is the more simple method of using the iPod itself a better option?

I seen a few posts that mention an upgraded radio was fitted in 01 - what advantages does this offer?

Am I likely to have DSP? How do I tell and is this an advantage or hindrance?

Can my CD changer play mp3s? I suspect that it can't.

I'd like to replace the built in phone with bluetooth at some point - how easy is this to do and where is a good source for parts?

The TV is the older square type and I'd like the later 16:9 version. What is the going price for these in NZ and where can I source one from? Am I correct in that they are a straight swap for the square version? Is the unit from the X5 identical to that in the E39?

TV In Motion has already been enabled by a previous owner. I'm not sure if this was done using NavCoder or via some other means - is there any way I can check?

I'm off to the UK and Germany in May for 6 weeks so could possibly buy the bits I need over there if it is more economical to do so. Is there a second hand BMW parts company in NZ with reasonable prices?

Last but not least I want to hard wire in my V1. Any recommendations on the best place to connect the wires? Is the interior light a good option? What colour are the wires I need to connect to? StealthOne would be very cool but seem to no longer be available.

Thanks in advance! Any advice and recommendations appreciated.

For your radar - take out the panel where you sunroof, phone piece is. Inside there should be a solid green wire more to the passenger side.

Tap your radar into this wire and route through the grommet to the rain sensor / mirror for your radar.

DSP is pointless IMO, it should be there on the menu if you have it.

For your other queries - Jochen is your man to speak to I believe.

All going well by the end of the week I will have a E39 on my driveway. Its a pretty high spec 1999 model with TV, phone, leather, heated seats, etc.

Cool! Nice car :-)

My knowledge of BMWs to date has mostly focused on E46 M3s. What I would like to know is firstly, what plug in options (AV input, iPod integration, etc) are available for a E39 of this year?

Loads and loads. Based on your questions below you appear to have TV but you mentioned nothing about navigation. Navigation is one of the coolest plug-in mods :-)

In terms of iPod integration is it worthwhile controlling the iPod from the radio / steering wheel controls? Youtube clips I have seen look as though the radio is very slow to react. Is the more simple method of using the iPod itself a better option?

Intravee is the best iPod controller - www.intravention.co.uk - go have a look at their website.

I seen a few posts that mention an upgraded radio was fitted in 01 - what advantages does this offer?

1. MP3 ID3 text from BMW CD changer

2. Navigation instructions reduce radio volume instead of totally muting it

3. Native stereo Aux-In capability

Am I likely to have DSP? How do I tell and is this an advantage or hindrance?

If you have DSP the word "DSP" appears in the main menu of the nav/TV system.

Can my CD changer play mp3s? I suspect that it can't.

Not natively in your year BMW. You can replace the CD changer with an MP3 capable chnge, these were made from around 2002 onwards. Plug and play.

I'd like to replace the built in phone with bluetooth at some point - how easy is this to do and where is a good source for parts?

Very easy to do if phone is already fitted - just plug and play. The latest ULF bluetooth modules also add voice control of phone and nav.

Get the unit from www.bimmernav.com , he's the best

The TV is the older square type and I'd like the later 16:9 version. What is the going price for these in NZ and where can I source one from? Am I correct in that they are a straight swap for the square version? Is the unit from the X5 identical to that in the E39?

TV In Motion has already been enabled by a previous owner. I'm not sure if this was done using NavCoder or via some other means - is there any way I can check?

16:9 widescreen is plug and play. Note that older video modules (Coding Index 01) will only display in 4:3 format on the widescreen display. A newer video module will also be required if yours is too old.

Do not use an X5 screen - the viewing angle is totally different. Get only a screen from an E38 or E39. If you get an E39 screen, you have to change the trim for the E38 trim. Mounting brackets are also required.

Use NavCoder and read the settings :-)

Look for extra foreing black boxes added in close to the TV - a sign of an external TV-in-Motion unit.

I'm off to the UK and Germany in May for 6 weeks so could possibly buy the bits I need over there if it is more economical to do so. Is there a second hand BMW parts company in NZ with reasonable prices?

Parts are cheapest in Germany. Visit a wreckers there, but be armed with all the info you need.

BMWs are as common in Germany as Toyotas in NZ :-)

Last but not least I want to hard wire in my V1. Any recommendations on the best place to connect the wires? Is the interior light a good option? What colour are the wires I need to connect to? StealthOne would be very cool but seem to no longer be available.

Under the sunroof control panel is a good spot. Wires are available. Brown is ground, red with stripe is power. Use the interior light power supply, it switches off automatically 15min after locking the car.

Watch ebay for StealthOne units. That's the best integration of a V1 ever !!

With the intravee you have to also purchase an Alphine KVA-420c which unfortunitly has just jumped in price .. I managed to get mine for $270 but market value is around $320 which can make the solution on the pricey side. However as Jochen says, its the only one youll want for your 4:3 or 16:9 screen. All others are compromises feature wise.

I recently purchased a 97 E39. But I dont have a TV at all. I wanted to get the system at some stage. I presume there is more for me to purchase though?

I recently purchased a 97 E39. But I dont have a TV at all. I wanted to get the system at some stage. I presume there is more for me to purchase though?

Yep there is - obviously screen & video module but also complete nav/TV wiring loom & aerials, radio module, nav unit, GPS antenna (if you want). Doable but expensive

Dont bother...unless you have the time and patience. The whole kit is quite pricy, at least $2500/3000.

Bimmernav and Roveractive in the US sell complete retrofit kits.

You have to rip up carpets, pillars etc.

It is fun doing it first time with OEM equipment, but I wouldnt do it again.

Save your time and money and buy one with TV/Satnav as an option from new.

I see there is plenty of kits on Ebay.

I dont care about Navi. The $5 map book will do me. But would quite like the phone function. But I also didn't get a car with a phone. At some stage I would like to be able to play MP3's and be able to pick the song I want etc. My car does have DSP if that causes any problems.

also the dice is a great device for the ipod, ive been using it in my 7 for a couple of months with no trouble

Thanks for the replies guys.

I picked the car up late last week. Its even better than I was expecting!

It does already have the wiring for a V1 so that saved me a job.

It does have DSP and I think the stereo in general sounds very good.

TV in motion is very cool and I'm not sure I need to upgrade to the larger screen - if one comes up at a good price I'll consider it otherwise the current screen works well.

One thing I have noticed about the TV is that the sound has much more bass when on radio / tape / cd than it does on TV. Is there an adjustment for this or something BMW has done by design?

It dosen't have navigation. I had a 745Li for a few days a couple of weeks ago with Nav and although it was good I don't think I'll retrofit it into my own car as I generally know where I'm heading. If I lived in the UK it would be a different story.

Since my car is a 1999 dosen't it have RDS? Presumably the 2001 tuner does?

I'll check out the www.intravention.co.uk website and possibly get one when I'm in the UK later this year.

I noticed that the TV channel 0 is called AV. Where and how do I tap into this? Can I output from an iPod video to this?

Lastly, I have a Blackberry Pearl 8110 for which there is a BMW snap-in adapter and I think this is a longshot but worth asking anyway. Can I simply remove my phone handset, plug in a bluetooth cradle and adapter and be able to use my phone handsfree in the car? Eg is the ULF Bluetooth module essential when the car already has the phone? I realise I won't have a Bluetooth enabled car but if the handsfree actually works and uses the aerial on the roof etc I don't mind.

Cheers

Matt

I would not spent lots of dollars on the TV part - once NZ turns Analogue TV off in 2012 it will be of no use!

http://www.beehive.govt.nz/node/31480

I think you can use the AV input for your ipod video - I have the cables, joiners etc ready to do this to my 540i, just have not got around to it! Hotwire or Jochen will jump in here I'm sure!

Enjoy, and BTW, the other thing you can do, which is also on my list is a reverse camera - the arse on these cars is too high when backing a trailer!!

Edited by camera doctor

One thing I have noticed about the TV is that the sound has much more bass when on radio / tape / cd than it does on TV. Is there an adjustment for this or something BMW has done by design?

Unfortunately, the tone control is not active on TV. BMW made it like this, it's one of the weaker points of the system.

Since my car is a 1999 dosen't it have RDS? Presumably the 2001 tuner does?

RDS was available from the first E38s in 1994.

BUT different tuners are fitted for different markets. If it is a NZ-New car, it will have the C23 Oceania tuner fitted, which has no RDS:

Euro and Singapore cars got the Business RDS or Professional RDS tuners.

Plug and play to swap the tuner, if you want to.

The 750iLs normally all came with top-of-the-line equipment, which would be the twin-tuner Professional RDS model.

I noticed that the TV channel 0 is called AV. Where and how do I tap into this? Can I output from an iPod video to this?

Some E38s had the AV wired to the AV socket at the rear of the centre console, some did not.

If your's didn't, just fit an AV cable to the AV input on the white connector of the video module (in boot next to CD changer)

You can connect ANY standard composite video AV signal - iPod, Playstation, WII, Camera, etc.

I used my iPod Video to play movies in my E39 with the same system.

It was fantastic, and I could have 100 movies on my iPod...

My iPod was in my glovebox, I cabled the AV input to RCA connectors above the glovebox for flexibility. I also used a iPod docking cable, so the iPod was charging and playing at the same time.

Here's the video module pinout:

Posted Image

Here's the ipod cable I used:

Posted Image

Lastly, I have a Blackberry Pearl 8110 for which there is a BMW snap-in adapter and I think this is a longshot but worth asking anyway. Can I simply remove my phone handset, plug in a bluetooth cradle and adapter and be able to use my phone handsfree in the car? Eg is the ULF Bluetooth module essential when the car already has the phone? I realise I won't have a Bluetooth enabled car but if the handsfree actually works and uses the aerial on the roof etc I don't mind.

There are many different phone system for the car.

The snap-in adapter is designed for use with the ULF bluetooth system, ie: the snap-in adapter often does nothing more than charge the phone, and provide the antenna connection.

You can change your car phone system to Bluetooth ULF. You'd need:

1. New ULF module

2. Bluetooth antenna

3. Pairing button

4. Maybe a new wiring loom to snap-in adapter

5. Appropriate snap-in adapter for your phone

Quite easy. Once you have the bluetooth system, the phone system becomes future-proof.

Edited by jochen

I would not spent lots of dollars on the TV part - once NZ turns Analogue TV off in 2012 it will be of no use!

Not fully true, the BMW analogue TV tuner will still be useful for the following functions:

1. Reverse Camera input

2. AV Input, allowing iPod, DVD player etc

3. AV Out, allowing TV, movies etc to show on rear screens

4. Digital TV tuner connection - you can connect a digital TV tuner to either AV-In or using an RF modulator

I used aanlogue TV in my E39 to drive rear screens and the kids loved it. Great on long drives.

SO if the tuner is already fitted, I wouldn't throw it away. Use it for extra functions!

And anway, 2012 is a long way away, and the definite switch off of analogue TV depends on digital take up.

Additionally, analogue switch off does not apply to all analogue channels simultaneously.

Hi All,

I've seen a couple of interaces for sale on the net for the video module aux in. Do I need the 1251 or 1259 or is it cheaper / better to make my own from BMW sourced parts and the diagram above?

http://www.caraudio24.de/product_info.php?products_id=17736

http://www.caraudio24.de/product_info.php?products_id=13764

I've got TV but no Nav. Looks to me like the 1251 is correct but I'd like a multi connector on the video module end as it would otherwise be a pain in insert each of the pins and doesn't have the factory look.

Thanks

Matt

Have a look at the video module

If a white connector is fitted in the whie socket -> get the 1251

If no white connector plugged in -> get the 1259

Have a look at the video module

If a white connector is fitted in the whie socket -> get the 1251

If no white connector plugged in -> get the 1259

Awesome, thanks for that. The white socket is empty so I'll get the 1259.

Cheers

Matt