Sign in to follow this  
stolen

What Camera to buy?

Hello,

Want to buy a camera for my cousin...looking for a point and shoot around the 200$ mark.

It needs to be >7.1MP.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Was looking at the canon 90is which is a bit above the 200$ i was hoping for...some of the new samsungs look like a good deal...

Thanks.

Fujifilms are awesome

Go fuji

what ever you buy , get one with the best lens , thats far more important than the number pixels.

you can have all the pixels you want but if the image coming though the lens is $E&^%& then thats all it will capture ,a bigger size lens make a diffence.

It needs to be >7.1MP.

Can I ask why??

I am a camera repairer, and I see lots of cameras daily!

Some models give better results at 3.2 Megapixel v's cheap 8/10/12 Megapixel models!

As Brent said - the lens is more important than the Megapixels - the sensor can't improve a poor quality image, but a good quality lens can improve a low pixel count!

IMHO

We have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20, it's not slr but 12x zoom, it's 5.0 mp but it takes really nice photos... Well i think so anyways - it's a few years old now but i recommend one...

Can I ask why??

I am a camera repairer, and I see lots of cameras daily!

Some models give better results at 3.2 Megapixel v's cheap 8/10/12 Megapixel models!

As Brent said - the lens is more important than the Megapixels - the sensor can't improve a poor quality image, but a good quality lens can improve a low pixel count!

IMHO

I know what you mean...but its the spec he gave me...

Sooo know any cameras with a decent lens around that price range? :-)

We have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20, it's not slr but 12x zoom, it's 5.0 mp but it takes really nice photos... Well i think so anyways - it's a few years old now but i recommend one...

Thanks looks like a good camera but its not in the price bracket he asked me to look in...

Dont buy fujifilm.. Buy sony or lumix!

I was actually going towards Canon...thats what i have...but Sony or Lumix is good? He actually asked for either Sony or Samsung...

Thanks.

I second the fujifilm. I have a Finepix 5700. I bought it for $229 from DSE in Levin in June 08. 7.1M with 10x OPTICAL (important) zoom. It has a lot of features that allow you to get the shot you want. The Auto mode is ok, but for best results you are best to use the manual mode which will allow you to change the aperture, exposure and iso, probably some other stuff but that's all I really change.

To be honest though it is a bit bulky i.e. it doesn't have a retracting lense like some of the other point and shoot but it does take some awesome photos.

Took some photos at the WRC NZ in 08. You can see them here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/DarkWolf9008/WRCNZ#

I know what you mean...but its the spec he gave me...

Sooo know any cameras with a decent lens around that price range? :-)

You mentioned the Canon 90is - great bit of kit. Some shops still have the 80is at low prices too.

These Ixus cameras used to be in the $1000 price bracket and are still well built!

Just keep it ( and ANY digicam ) away from sand - I spend most of my day cleaning sand out of cameras! Cause the cameras are so small, the drive gears etc are tiny, and literally ONE grain of sand between teeth can cause them to jam.

I can recommend the ixuses....ixus'....ixusi....canon's ;)

Ive had two over the last eight years or so and am looking to get a new one soon. Cracking photos, great size, well built so Im not going to bother doing any comparisions with the next one Ill just pick the best ixus I can afford at that given time and save myself the hassle.

I have a Canon Powershot A560 and it seems to be alright for a cheap camera.

7.1 megapixel

one thing to remember is that xd memory cards are more expensive than the sd cards

so if you're concerned about that, then check what the camera takes first

I have a Canon Digital IXUS 55 which is a few years old tho but really nice quality photos I would definitely buy another. Unfortunately i dropped mine and cracked the LCD screen and its rather pricey to replace :o

I have a Canon Digital IXUS 55 which is a few years old tho but really nice quality photos I would definitely buy another. Unfortunately i dropped mine and cracked the LCD screen and its rather pricey to replace :o

Yeah I went with Canon as well...going to look into the 80is...perhaps i can get a good deal like camera doctor said. the 90is was outside the price range my cuz told me - but still looked like a great camera. If that fails will look into other brands/models.

Going overseas next week so might be able to get a duty free price drop.

Thanks for all the information guys! Appreciate your input.