Sign in to follow this  
rnbluva

1990 e34 manual m50 engine?

hey guys first up hello to everyone, brand new member to BS! :)

just a question, im thinking of buying a 1990 e34, manual, 180000kms. Are there any known problems with the model? also what are they like to maintain? is there anything i should definitely look for when viewing the car before buying it?

thanks for your help!

M50 also came out from 92.

doubt it'll be an M50

Either an M20 or M30

M50 came out in '89.

Won't be M30. M20 was up to 1990

1989('90)-1996 E34 520i had the M50B20, was updated '93 with VANOS, M50TUB20.

1990('90)-1995 E34 525i had the M50B25.

Edited by Nick021

yea its a m50b25. i know its not an m20 cuz its double cam and got an engine cover. m20s had the manifold on top...if im not mistaken. so are they good reliable cars? read somewhere that the old 5 series were the best built cars from them.

Reliable engine, yes. Good all round car, yes. But they do come with their problems. The M50 as far as I know only came out in 1992, but that's besides the fact. Either engine is fine. I've had so many issues with my P.O.S. 525i. The metal on the doors where the hinge is attached tends to fatique, and will fail over time... Intstrument clusters are a headache, and the numerous ball joints are a pain in the @$$ and fail all the time, it seems. I go through wheel bearings every two years. seats are not terribly comfortable, and if it weren't for the arm rests, wouldn't supply any lateral support at all. Other than that, I like the size and the handling. Also, the stance looks great when it's lowered.

The M50B20's came out in 1989, the M50B25's came out in 91 in the e34's, but wasn't put in the e36's till 92... i think

gooogle is your freind.All E34 problems are very well documented and so are the fixes.I have had a e34 535 for 7 years.It is not the cheapest car i have had for maintenance but i dont work on it exceet the occasional oil change or small fixable problem.However it has only let me down once in thos 7 years,(The distributor was wet inside and rhe rotor was worn out)I have replaced the front control arms and bushings,water pump(precaution) and radiator.I bough it at 147000 ka and it has now done 250000 ks.Its drives very very nicely.Otherwise all servicing has been done as per the service indicators.If you can ,get a manual with sports seats :)

Edited by kiwi535

Reliable engine, yes. Good all round car, yes. But they do come with their problems. The M50 as far as I know only came out in 1992, but that's besides the fact. Either engine is fine. I've had so many issues with my P.O.S. 525i. The metal on the doors where the hinge is attached tends to fatique, and will fail over time... Intstrument clusters are a headache, and the numerous ball joints are a pain in the @$$ and fail all the time, it seems. I go through wheel bearings every two years. seats are not terribly comfortable, and if it weren't for the arm rests, wouldn't supply any lateral support at all. Other than that, I like the size and the handling. Also, the stance looks great when it's lowered.

what do you do to your car . have many e34's over the years real problems.