Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

Towing Rules?

Going to buy a 325i E30 tonight and need to know if I can tow it, without a rejo and WOF?

its been dereg'd because of a small ding in the back, i can get a dealer plate if all else fails.

any help would be much appreciated.

Just play it safe and put a D plate on it. Its something like $2000 fine for "driving" an unreg'd car on the road, so not work the risk if you don't have a trailer for it.

The rules state it must not create a hazard, and wheels, tyres, steering, brakes and lights should be functional. Does not need WOF or Reg.

Some helpful quotes from LTSA website:

You need brakes that can:

the law requires that every light vehicle and trailer combination must be capable of stopping within a distance of seven metres from a speed of 30 km/h.

(Also applies to towing vehicles

You must have working tail-lights, brake lights, headlights, indicators and number plate light. (I think you could get away without this if you have no plate)

Towing motor vehicles at night

If you tow a motor vehicle during the hours of darkness, the towed vehicle must display a white light towards the front which shows the towing connection and red light towards the rear of the towed vehicle.

Edited by bravo

i think i'll nag the uncle for my dealer plate back and just drive it home :) will be the girlfriends car when done :) also will be taken on the bimmersport cruise :)

thanks for the help bravo, all the information i could find was to do with trailers :(