Sign in to follow this  
Docile

Dump old parts

Ok i live out west, and ive just recently changed my radiator which cant be used anymore on my 3 series. as well as very used front brake rotors.. just wondering where can i dump all these.. city dump?? do they take car parts?? or at a scrap metal shop??

Edited by Docile

I got rid of quite a bit of old car parts at the dump and they didn't say anything, so I guess it was alright :)

I think most dumps have different sections where you can leave scrap metal, tyres, batteries etc

Take it to a scrappy, if the stuff is good they will buy it off you.

they will always take parts for free anyway.

Usually 12 months later you'll end up with the same sh*t back [ made into something else & sold via the warehouse ]

When the scrappy takes it, they always recycle it [ some dumps just bury parts ]

but radiator is hopeless and dead ... leaks and rust everywhere.. plastic wasted and all.. i dont really mind if i dont get anything for them i just want them out of the garage..

ill go see if they take it at west auck dump near lincoln motorway exit.. its way closer than any metal scrappers from my house nearest one i think is at rosebank rd?.

I don't know about the dump near you, but the dump I go to has a metal dump area where it is free to dump anything mostly metal - the scrappies then come and collect large amounts at once. Everyone wins - you dump for free, it gets recycled, the dump saves space (they have limited dumping areas and need new resource consents ($$$$) when they need to expand), and the scrappy gets more scrap to melt down and sell.

but radiator is hopeless and dead ... leaks and rust everywhere.. plastic wasted and all.. i dont really mind if i dont get anything for them i just want them out of the garage..

ill go see if they take it at west auck dump near lincoln motorway exit.. its way closer than any metal scrappers from my house nearest one i think is at rosebank rd?.

Yes Avondale scrap metal on Rosebank rd behind Ideal Electrical I have found they are one of the best in auckland always pay top prices!! You should be able to get 5 dollars or so just for your radiator and a few dollars for your other metal depending on the weight

mild steel = 20c Kg

Carbon steel & Wrought Iron =40c Kg

Aluminum = $1.20 Kg

Brass & (hi-Grade) Stainless steel $ 3.00 Kg

Clean Copper $5.00 Kg

These prices are just a guide as the metal markets change from day to day

Support your local scrappy [ even if you get nothing ] these guys provide a great service to our country so we need to keep them in business.

My motive is always the same as yours [ I get tired of tripping over the sh*t in my garage ] so I usually give my junk away.

Because of the local scrappys , we no longer see old cars pushed into gullies etc [ except from car thieves ]

Who cares if they make a few dollars from cleaning up our country

true.. but will the scrappers take the radiator with the plastic sidings?? what about shocks absorbers?

ive got so much junk parts in my garage.. old shocks in a box fell through and hit my foot when i was cleaning up.

Yes they will take any metal clean or not ie with plastic bits it doesn't matter they will just strip it themselves and pay you a little less..

+1 for scrappy's, cleaned out my dads work once and got $300 :)

I have a steel bin in takanini, If you want rid of whatever basically any metal can go in, Its a bit far from you tho, Other idea is to find a local pitstop mufflers shop and use there bin they wont mind as long at its metal.