Sign in to follow this  
jcerecke

RFID Rush Button Ignition system

Ok so I've been doing some research into a system thats secure (enough) and also completely keyless.

So far I have this:

My existing uniden keyless entry triggers a 60sec timer relay that power up an RFID reader inside the car when I unlock the car.

I get in the car and swipe the tag.

The RFID reads tag and disengages immobiliser currently hooked up to a really obvious switch under my floormat.

RFID also triggers ACC and/or ON states that the keyed ignition would normally switch.

And then hold a push button to start!

Now I my old motor needs to crank over a few times before it gets going sometimes and this would be fine with this setup, I can hold the button in as long as I need to crank it.

But I though about making it more sophisticated:

What if the RFID just turns off immobiliser, then the push button (just momentary, not held) turned on ACC/ON and then started cranking (via relays and such) and stopped cranking when this device sees my car idling!

And then I could use the same button as a kill switch too.

I'd add some way off having acc on without turning the motor on too.

One thing I'm not sure of though:

Steering column lock. This is mechanical? Which means I would need to completely get rid of it or (more ideally) disengage it on RFID relay with actuator or something. But I've heard tampering with it is bad since if you don't do it very well it could accidentally engage while driving? I would really like to build this system in parallel to the key ignition if at all possible. But is there a way to get rid of just the steering column lock without the key ignition? Or any other solutions? I was thinking maybe if I get really annoyed with this problem I could stick the key in the ignition, turn it so the lock is disengaged and then pull the key out (no prob as key is pretty worn). Of course I would need to cut all switches so the cars not permanently in the ON state.

So what do you think?

Also please tell me anything else I have blatently forgotten to think of!

Steering wheel lock is easy to remove in an E30, take the steering wheel off and you'll see the pin straight in front of you. It's held in by a small split pin across the front, just use a chisel and cut this on both sides, sharp hit with a hammer, and pull the lock pin out thru the front. Takes about 10 mins, I've done 4 race cars like this now, removes the lock completely without affecting the ignition at all.

Spare RFID key in case of loss/defect? I take it the RFID reader will allow multiple keys? If so, how many keys are out there that will enable it? How would you re-enable a new RFID if required?

That device looks like a DIY build kit - but if you have got this far already you won't have any trouble putting it together and soldering joints.

Sounds like an interesting project.

The RFID reader I bought comes with 5 tags. Unfortunately it was a cheapo (US$28 incl shipping) off ebay and didn't have much in the way of specs or anything, so I'm hoping if I ever loose all 5 I'll be able to buy others locally and program them.

I reckon I'll mount the reader under one of the centre console tray/pocket things so I just jump in the car and chuck my tag in the tray.

I believe it comes with a "master tag" which you swipe and then swipe a tag you want to enable/disable on the reader. And you can have up to 500 different tags. And the really cool bit is the tags I got are round with depressions in them so you can put a cirular logo on it, so I'll stick a BMW logo in there and make it look stockish haha.

Yeah it is a kit. Im a pretty decent solderer, but if I can't work it out then I have a mate who's a big electronics geek.

Now to look for a cool illuminated button!

Ok so I've been doing some research into a system thats secure (enough) and also completely keyless.

So far I have this:

Normal steps for secure system:

1. Keep security system information confidential and do not broadcast in public forums that are visible forever on the internet

2. ... (Anything beyond step 1 is irrelevant if step 1 has not been successfully executed!)

...oops!...

Normal steps for secure system:

1. Keep security system information confidential and do not broadcast in public forums that are visible forever on the internet

2. ... (Anything beyond step 1 is irrelevant if step 1 has not been successfully executed!)

...oops!...

It's a 318.

Who cares about wanking over how much displacement its got, and because its a smaller motor the owner shouldn't care, its the price you put on how much you care about your car.

Edited by Forrest

Who cares about wanking over how much displacement its got, and because its a smaller motor the owner shouldn't care, its the price you put on how much you care about your car.

Well said. I love my car.