Sign in to follow this  
gmccormack

Auto

This may sound like a dumb question, but is all auto transmission fluid red?????

I only ask because a girl I work with recently bought a E30 (89 320)

It wont rev past 2500 rpm without shifting up a gear, even with your foot to the floor.I thought someone may have put power steering fluid or something in it by mistake because the fluid on the dipstick looks really yellow.Any ideas???

As far as i'm aware all bmw autos use the standard ATM fluid and some manuals use it as well. The ATM fluid is less viscous than the MTF and I fact I think it's one of the least most viscous of the fluids so i'd say that'd be the reason...using anything but the right type would be quite detrimental performance-wise...

Using ATM fluid in a manual is also not a good thing, it's too slippery and makes the g/box quite noisey

Arr yes grasshopper - manual box fluid, known as EP90, is the most stinky, thick oil you can get for a car. I despise pulling out a diff or gearbox on a forklift JUST because of the stinky - messy EP90. And it's a thick yellow colour.

Atf should always be red, not even a brownish red. not red = bad.

I would say thou, your box either needs a service, or it's poked :blink:

edit: BTW: ATF fluid is commonly used for Power steering fluid. Not sure in beamers, havent looked, but as a rule of thumb ATF suits most P/S designs.

Edited by 318is

dude you better get check man cuase my gearbox went last weekend and its going to cost $4000 to fix it

fool, you should of taken up my offer of replacing the auto for 200.

is it made of gold your actually going to spend that much money on it?

also

ATF = red colour

ATF used in auto & manual trans and as powersteering fluid. on most cars the lid says use only ATF.

Guest Andrew

dude you better get check man cuase my gearbox went last weekend and its going to cost $4000 to fix it

whoever is charging you that is taking you up the ass so hard.

whoever is charging you that is taking you up the ass so hard.

you like that dont you

GRRRRRRRRRRrr

manual conversion in da house YoOoOoO~!1!1!!111!!!

Guest Andrew

you like that dont you

GRRRRRRRRRRrr

I am the wise janitor - I seen you in the changing rooms slapping the other boys on the ass. I can tell you kinda like that.. GRRR