Sign in to follow this  
entscheidend

E39 radiator needed ASAP

I have mate who has a E39 540 - 1999.

His radiator has shat itself (very uncommon :blink: )

Looking for a radiator that has been recored etc, or second hand.

Any one? Ray at HellBM?

Cheers guys

There is new ones on TM pretty cheap.

I'd go new and be wary of what is being sold. There are some nastey aftermarket ones around which have been giving alot of problems. I could do a Behr or NRF one (both types are OEM & new) for $560 incl. Would need to know if its clip on radiator hoses or not. Can also supply geuine antifreeze as well.

Edited by *Glenn*

Id go new aswell on this one mate. With an e39 and its history its just not worth buying second hand.

I had all the work done last year as a preventative measure and although the rad was $700, it wasnt that much more for them to do the work.

Like this guy on tardme (Auckland Radiators Ltd) and at $399 -good price. But what brand is it-unlikely to be OEM. Is is one of those " nastey aftermarket ones around which have been giving alot of problems" Glenn mentioned ? Ask the guy the brand. I'm surprised that you'd go along with someone using a seondhand one Adrian - knowing your pedigree ^_^

Guys - its not for me and yes I would go brand new and OE, maybe Nissens next time B)

Its for a mate and hes scraping the barrel for coin- hes the one who was fired from Work and Income because he had a criminal conviction in the 1980's (hes got a beautiful 99 6 speed with individual black/ redish purple interior)

It appears he doesnt need urgently now - he has used Wynns Radiator stop leak.

It actually works and doesnt leak - how does this stuff work??

Like this guy on tardme (Auckland Radiators Ltd) and at $399 -good price. But what brand is it-unlikely to be OEM. Is is one of those " nastey aftermarket ones around which have been giving alot of problems" Glenn mentioned ? Ask the guy the brand. I'm surprised that you'd go along with someone using a seondhand one Adrian - knowing your pedigree ^_^

Adrian - sussed these ones out. These are definately a good way to go if your on a budget. I did measure the fan shroud and these radiators appear to be a few mm's short - not a major, maybe it was my Chinese measuring tape.

Hows the 540 going?

Additives can cause damage to the water pump seal and the auxillary water pump for the heating system. This could actualy end up costing him more if he doesnt fix it properly. For a temporary repair add a table spoon of mixed white pepper in water and add it to the cooling system when it is cold. This works, however he should get it repaired properly or it could end up being a major.

Hey Adrian, all good mate. Yes the car seems to be a goodin. Slowly fixing things on it to bring it back to spec. Second baby arrived 3 weeks a go so I don't have much time to work on the car - you know all about it. You mates car does sound a beaut indeed. Mine is nothing particulary special and it's a 1996 so it's a bit old stock but I will probably keep it for a while as I got it for a good price and I know mechanically it's a good car. I'd love to have the extras of a newer spec but probably not a bad idea to build up this car- at least I know it's history. Now if I could only find some 18" Schnitzers like you had on your old car for reasonable coin I'd be getting somewhere... ^_^ Any luck with the X5?

Edited by arros