Sign in to follow this  
savvi

intake breather pipe help

hey guys im in middle of doing a new head gasket, water pump, and servicing the starter motor

i have taken the inlet manifold off and the breather pipe that goes from the bottom of the intake and attaches to the block which has a coiled spring on it has been removed and dropped one of the intake nuts down there where does this hole lead to and will the nut cause me any problems , hope this makes some sense

cheers shane

try removing the oil level sensor and use a magnet to fish out the nut

Guest FrantiC

It's not an intake breather, it is the oil drain from the head (passes between the intake runners and dumps down back into the sump. So the bolt will be in the sump now and I would HIGHLY recommend you get it out. Try a magnet fisher through the hole it fell through, Otherwise drop the sump..

Doubt you would get it through the oil level sender, there is that baffel plate in the way.

it goes into the block, and I would highly recommend you drop your sump out and fish it out.

ok thanks ill do some homework on wats required to remove the sump and i guess a new gasket is needed to

Use gasket goo. No gasket required. Do a a search for which one to use.

ok cheers bravo

ok thanks ill do some homework on wats required to remove the sump and i guess a new gasket is needed to

would it be better if i got a magnetic oil sump plug and let that try and pic up the lost nut before i try and remove the sump

It's not that much of a biggie to remove the sump on an e30 is it?

It's not that much of a biggie to remove the sump on an e30 is it?

i think its the cross member and p/s unit just tryng to keep the mechanics bill down

can some one confirm this

Guest FrantiC

i think its the cross member and p/s unit just tryng to keep the mechanics bill down

can some one confirm this

Either drop steering rack, Lift engine as much as you can and slide it out. This way you have to drop the oil pump into the pan to slide it out.

or else drop subframe, steering etc, hoist engine up and yeah much easier this way, less cursing lol.

Either drop steering rack, Lift engine as much as you can and slide it out. This way you have to drop the oil pump into the pan to slide it out.

or else drop subframe, steering etc, hoist engine up and yeah much easier this way, less cursing lol.

cheers for help

Dont use gasket goo.... use Trubond Eurothane sealant (grey or black) from Panelbeating Supplies in Auck. All surfaces must be perfectly clean and dry though. I covered this some time ago in a thread... some one might be able to find it for you. The cork gaskets they now supply end up cracking through the bolt holes and you end up with leaks again.

try removing the oil level sensor and use a magnet to fish out the nut

Always been one of my fears when removing these inlet manifolds. Consequently, I put a piece of rag in the hole.

I'm interested in the comment about the tube not being a breather but a return line to the sump.

One of the manuals I have describes its purpose as venting crankcase vapour into the inlet manifold to be burnt.

If it were a return line for oil from the head, how does the oil from the head get into it?

There are oilways from the head into the block as with any motor .

The only other way oil could pass from the head is through the ventilation hose on the rocker cover. My inderstanding is that vapour from under the rocker cover passes into the intake manifold to be burnt. Try disconnecting the hose with the motor running. It will almost stall as the manifild pressure increases to approach atmospheric.