Sign in to follow this  
m31day

BMW newbie

Hi,

Im just in the process of selling my STI and am quite keen on a BMW coupe 328i. Im completely new to BMWs having owned 5 subarus recently. I having a bit of an old man complex and want to get away from the boy racer thing.

Is there anything I should be looking out for specifically when purchasing? Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to BS. A quick google search for "E36 common problems" will bring up tons of pages with info on what to look out for on these cars. This one for example:

E36 Common Faults FAQ

Good luck with your search. Coming from an STi I imagine you're after a manual car? If so, look at spending between 8 and 12k for one as they're far rarer than autos.

Hi Matt, welcome to BS. A quick google search for "E36 common problems" will bring up tons of pages with info on what to look out for on these cars. This one for example:

E36 Common Faults FAQ

Good luck with your search. Coming from an STi I imagine you're after a manual car? If so, look at spending between 8 and 12k for one as they're far rarer than autos.

Yip bang on.

What sort of performance can I expect (compared to an STI i guess) and can you get more kws with simple breathing mods etc?

My last STI had close to 350hp atw so im not expecting that. The one I have just about sold is standard, but isstill pretty quick. Im not after big power, but I really dont think 142kw will keep me interested for that long.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by m31day

A 328 is going to be pretty docile after an STi -you know you really want an M3.

& Welcome.

Stock, a 328 puts out 192hp at the crank. CAI, exhaust and a remap will boost that to 210-220hp. To get more than that you need to start doing things like an M50 manifold conversion.

It's not all about outright HP though. A workmate of mine has just upgraded from an Evo 6 to a 330i and he said the drive is far better even though there's now around 80kw less under the bonnet.

Stock, a 328 puts out 192hp at the crank. CAI, exhaust and a remap will boost that to 210-220hp. To get more than that you need to start doing things like an M50 manifold conversion.

It's not all about outright HP though. A workmate of mine has just upgraded from an Evo 6 to a 330i and he said the drive is far better even though there's now around 80kw less under the bonnet.

Thats starting to sound better. Are the computers remappable? If I can get to around 140- 160kwatws over time id be pretty happy. As you say power isnt everthing, but it is nice to have a certain amount when you need it.

My 2006 Xr6 had a bit of poke, but wasnt really free revving and drove like a barge, so similar power to that would keep me happy.

Edited by m31day

A 328 is going to be pretty docile after an STi -you know you really want an M3.

& Welcome.

I would love one, but cant justify the large expense for a car to take to work on a rainy day and to take the kids to child care 3 times a week, an all up trip of 5kms.

Im sort of after a bit more style and comfort over the STI, with a bit of power over time from adding a bit here and there. I do most of my work myself, so would only be doing the basics really. I had toyed with turboing but cant really see the sense when im not after big power or big expense.