Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

Mystery Wiring harness'

I was having a snoop around behind my dash - under the Climate control unit more specifically. I found a few plugs attached to some pretty bulky wiring but not plugged into anything. They look like they could be kinda important so thought Id ask on here what they are for.

They were tucked away to the left of the console around where the ciggertte lighter is but the other side.

Here are the pictures of the plugs and of the coloured wiring.

If you can help me out that would be just great.

Ta.

post-29-1240257004_thumb.jpg

post-29-1240257025_thumb.jpg

post-29-1240257042_thumb.jpg

post-29-1240257056_thumb.jpg

I was having a snoop around behind my dash - under the Climate control unit more specifically. I found a few plugs attached to some pretty bulky wiring but not plugged into anything. They look like they could be kinda important so thought Id ask on here what they are for.

They were tucked away to the left of the console around where the ciggertte lighter is but the other side.

Here are the pictures of the plugs and of the coloured wiring.

If you can help me out that would be just great.

Ta.

If everything is working then they will more than likely be for an option that isn't fitted to your car.

All wiring harnesses are the same for each type of car so they just tuck the extra plugs in the loom.

The if thats the car I'm assuming the wires are all connected at the other end would it be possible to retrofit what ever it was that was there?

I have a feeling I know what they are for but just want to know for sure before I get too excited haha

The if thats the car I'm assuming the wires are all connected at the other end would it be possible to retrofit what ever it was that was there?

I have a feeling I know what they are for but just want to know for sure before I get too excited haha

Depends what it is? Does your car have climate air?

Nah, its poverty spec. Just a analogue clock. Pretty common on a 318is.

I did find this picture how ever..

post-29-1240262273_thumb.jpg

That's proberly it then.

Yeah that what im assuming but its for a 18 button OBC. I guess I can try it. Would be cool if it worked, even just the clock anything is better than the analogue!

Yeah that what im assuming but its for a 18 button OBC. I guess I can try it. Would be cool if it worked, even just the clock anything is better than the analogue!

If you were gonna put in the 18 button OBC, the clock might be the only thing that works, the sensors etc won't be installed in all the appropriate places e.g fuel cons, KMs to empty fuel tank etc etc.

If you were gonna put in the 18 button OBC, the clock might be the only thing that works, the sensors etc won't be installed in all the appropriate places e.g fuel cons, KMs to empty fuel tank etc etc.

Yeah thats what Im thinking but you dont know till you try!

Haha i do know. Will look alot better than the analogue clock however.

Yea you are proberbly right but its more for aesthetics than anything, it will make the interior look less dated.

Very true, if you can get hold of an 18 button OBC cheaply enough then go for it.

Guest Simon*

So 17 of the buttons won't actually work? ;)

Maybe you should put that in your WTB. "Only clock button needs to function" Might get a discount

Didnt you know Simon? having only one button work is all the rage..

I'd get a 8 button or a 11 too I guess just 18 looks better.

Don't be stupid Ryan. Thats where the hyper drive goes. Its there for easy in-car access and calibration, would you REALLY walk OUTSIDE the car to punch in co-ordinates? I don't think so.