Sign in to follow this  
danj

So I took the 540 in to get serviced...

Apparently the passengers side windscreen wiper arm is bent, so I had a look at it.. looked straight to me... except it doesn't look very genuine bmw... can anyone confirm (see attached picture)?

Quoted about $250 to replace

The heated water jets aren't spraying with much pressure, from what I understand the jet units themselves need to be replaced, about $300 incl labour.

Is it worth getting these parts second hand and saving some $?

Cheers guys

post-4037-1240528937_thumb.jpg

Edited by danj

I think it would be worth checking the hoses to make sure you arent losing pressure with any leaks and that the holes at the end arent blocked in anyway.

$220 for a wiper arm is lunacy....even at BMW's inflated prices. Does the blade still remove the water sufficiently ? If so then whats the problem whether its bent or not.

Without knowing any more than what youve said, Id say someone is pulling a fast one on you.

The arm is bent and its touching the bonnet....common problem. Those jets are dear if there heated and you cant replace them with anything else other than 2nd hand which will proberly break when theyre taken off

The arm is bent and its touching the bonnet....common problem. Those jets are dear if there heated and you cant replace them with anything else other than 2nd hand which will proberly break when theyre taken off

Thanks for the quick reply, so in your opinion should I just bite the bullet and get them both replaced?

edit: i should mention those prices are labour inclusive

Edited by danj

Chch unfortunately, would be useful to be in auckland so I could take my car to you

My e34 passenger wiper blade kept hitting the bonnet. Unbolted it and moved it a notch further away from the bottom of the windscreen at the stop position and didn't have the problem again.

The wiper sits further up the windscreen though but not a major...

BMW told me that the actual mechanism starts to wear and they have more play thus allowing the wiper to strike the bonnet.

Edited by str8_6

I would start with replacing the water pump on the tank as a cheap cure for the pressure, is water leaking around the o ring?

You dont need to replace the jets with OE heated ones, you can get non heated OE versions for heaps less.