Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

e34 and e30 ecu wiring

Bagged me a map-ecu 2 system today, and im preparing mentally for wiring it up. I've got the wiring diagrams from an e34 (Boris's car), but this system has not been logged on an e30 before. Does anyone know if the wiring colours/shielding are the same on an e34 as they are on an e30? This would make the job a whole lot easier if they are.

edit: spellig

Edited by André3000

Bagged me a map-ecu 2 system today, and im preparing mentally for wiring it up. I've got the wiring diagrams from an e34 (Boris's car), but this system has not been logged on an e30 before. Does anyone know if the wiring colours/shielding are the same on an e34 as they are on an e30? This would make the job a whole lot easier if they are.

edit: spellig

BMW, and most car manufacturers, follow standard wiring principle: the wire colour determines the function.

So a red wire with purple dots and green stripes on the E34 would have the same function as the same coloured wire on an E30

Or the otherway around - the wiring for the ejector seat on the E30 would have the same colours as the wiring for the ejector seat on the E34

There are a few, but only a few, exceptions to this rule.

And some general rules apply:

Brown, or brown with a stripe, is always ground

Red (with a stripe) is battery

Violet (with a stripe) is switched power

Wires with 3 colours are databus wires (but the E32 is a stone-age car and doesn't really have many if any databusses :-)

But please always consult the wiring diagrams - the original BMW wiring diagram for the E34 and E30 is very easy to find.

green is also switch power and black with white strip is starter wire

Yeah i had a look today and it seems that they are the same.

On another note. I need to run a vacuum hose from the plenum to the me2 system, do i have to get a two way metal thingy or will a t junction do fine to split the fuel presure reg/absolute manifold pressure?