Sign in to follow this  
APT

White light bulbs

I want that whitey blue look on my headlights.. is this mod just as simple as changing the bulbs over ? or do i have to get these HID kits i see on trademe ? not really after a increase in light,just the look really cheers

The replacement bulbs that you get that produce the really white light are CRAP.. there is proof on the net, research it. Also, the HID's are illegal.

BUT there is a good alternative. Phillips Bluevision bulbs.. not a really white light, but definitely whiter than stock. But they actually increase the amount of stuff you can see. They are really good. Pricey but definitely worth it for the increase in vision.

I need a solution that increases visibility by 50% more than stock... those babies are for looks eh Nick?

Narva Ultra Blue 5000k from Repco.

Looksy at my sig.

Are they from just changing the bulb ? how much do they range $$? nice sig BTW

I need a solution that increases visibility by 50% more than stock... those babies are for looks eh Nick?

Not really mate, they perform just as well as the stock bulb. Even better in some cases. Although they don't give a lot more light.

There are many options in Repco. They've got +50 ranges which put out a lot more light but bulb life is less.

Are they from just changing the bulb ? how much do they range $$? nice sig BTW

Just from changing the bulb. 1 minute job. Have a slight bluish tinge in real view.

From memory they retail about $80 for a pair of main bulbs and a pair of parks.

Cheers btw :)

Edited by Nick021

The phillips bulbs will deliver!

Not really mate, they perform just as well as the stock bulb. Even better in some cases. Although they don't give a lot more light.

There are many options in Repco. They've got +50 ranges which put out a lot more light but bulb life is less.

Just from changing the bulb. 1 minute job. Have a slight bluish tinge in real view.

From memory they retail about $80 for a pair of main bulbs and a pair of parks.

Cheers btw :)

I'l check it out 2mro cheers

+1 for Philips (also rebranded as Hella). Osram also have good products in this area.

I've always used the Nivira (spelling) Plus 50's and found them fantastic... Lasted well too

+1 for Philips (also rebranded as Hella). Osram also have good products in this area.

Blew a bulb this week and found this thread for some advice.

Replaced all 4 (main/dip and hi beam) with Philips Bluevision 4000k

A bit of elbow grease on the lens with Mothers Plastic Polish and have got a fantastic result, with bright white as opposed to previous yellowish output and the throw is far greater.

I heard these get hot and can melt the plastic headlight housing (especially in e30's).

Or did I hear wrong?

Let me know how they go mybmw. I will be looking out for some blinding white lights on Whitford Road. :)

I've got Narva Plus 50's in my car, best bulb ever, the blue ones I've found aren't as nice to drive with.

The 'elbow grease' comment no doubt related to hazed lenses which is what I have. I need to sort that before I change lenses- still waiting for some to come up on tardme as the polishing thing seems not to last very long). Philips VisionPlus (also branded/sold by Hella) are plus 50s and are very good (probably the same thing as BlueVision I guess)

Blew a bulb this week and found this thread for some advice.

Replaced all 4 (main/dip and hi beam) with Philips Bluevision 4000k

A bit of elbow grease on the lens with Mothers Plastic Polish and have got a fantastic result, with bright white as opposed to previous yellowish output and the throw is far greater.

All light bulbs get hot , the bigger the wattage the greater the heat output.

A 55 white will generate the same heat as a yelow lamp the temperature figure refers to the light colour which is measured in degrees Kelvin. 2700 being the old incandescent lamps 4,000 to 7,000 halogens

Provided you put the same wattage in as specified originally you will not have a problem

Ahh I see, thanks.

I remember now as when I was going to put a 100W bulb in my e30, I was told not too because of the extra heat produced.

Ahh I see, thanks.

I remember now as when I was going to put a 100W bulb in my e30, I was told not too because of the extra heat produced.

You shouldn't put a higher wattage in than is specified by factory. Then the housing might melt or wires ect will catch on fire from the heat.

The 'elbow grease' comment no doubt related to hazed lenses which is what I have. I need to sort that before I change lenses- still waiting for some to come up on tardme as the polishing thing seems not to last very long). Philips VisionPlus (also branded/sold by Hella) are plus 50s and are very good (probably the same thing as BlueVision I guess)

I took my E39 headlights right out of the car and 'polished' them with wet and dry sandpaper, 1000 then 1500 grit, followed by Repo Extra cut Car Polish, finally Meguiars Polycarb polish.

Keep the sandpaper wet, takes a bit of elbow grease and time, but they come up nice and clear and the car looks heaps better and the lights work a lot better too.

Worth a try, if you are looking at new covers / lenses, what have you got to loose!

Edited by camera doctor