Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

german plates

Well...on my way home from work just now I got pulled over for my german plates.

$200 fine, with a 14 day compliance period where if I fix correct plates and go into a cop station the fine will be waived...sounds like I got off easy compared to others here.

Thought i'd post this up to add to the increasing amount of people getting pulled over for these and as some what of a warning...

Ian.

Well...on my way home from work just now I got pulled over for my german plates.

$200 fine, with a 14 day compliance period where if I fix correct plates and go into a cop station the fine will be waived...sounds like I got off easy compared to others here.

Thought i'd post this up to add to the increasing amount of people getting pulled over for these and as some what of a warning...

Ian.

Damn i wanted to get some of these plates..Guess i got to save up for the real thing now, thanx for the heads up

Did you have plain plates on? or black ones (...also any stickers or anything). I ask because I have been pulled up for black ones once, but never plain ones, even when cops have been right behind me for 5 minutes...

Also IMO (unless your realy strugling) I wouldn't loose sleep over having german plates... I've had them for about 6 years (a couple of mates also have them), and between us only one of us (me) has been pulled up... and that was for the black plates which are pretty obvious. I have heard of a few other people with the same problem but I'm happy to get slapped with a warning or $200 fine one every 6 years to keep the better looking plates... It cost me more to get the legitimate thing.

White ones with the D on them. This was one of those traffic cops (yellow cars?) who came out of nowhere and pulled me over (I thought he was going to do me for speeding to be honest! :)).

I find it all rather comical really it's interesting to see what you actually will get pulled over for. The other weekend we where taking the 205 out a fair to test a few things and went past 5 cops and 3 cops on a later trip. The later trip included us not having a front headlight.

The is no plate on the front and an

Expired dealer plate on the back, yet even following and being directly followed in my rather noisey and lowered car I didn't even get pulled over once, yet you get pulled over for having a germanplate... It's all comical really.

The officer clearly understood the concept of the French automobile, they were able to recognise that it would be counterproductive to pull you over and fine you given that all your income is likely to be spent either repairing or replacing parts that have just fallen off whilst travelling up a hill into a stiff breeze. :D:P^_^

Edited by bmw3

The officer clearly understood the concept of the French automobile, they were able to recognise that it would be counterproductive to pull you over and fine you given that all your income is likely to be spent either repairing or replacing parts that have just fallen off whilst travelling up a hill into a stiff breeze. :D:P^_^

Hell even starting it breaks things... I.e. Exhaust manifold sounds like it's leaking now..

Dare to be different!

VIVA LA FRANCE!

Edited by DRTDVL

2 Warnings within a Month. Still got em on.

Interesting that you got 14 day period to sort them out and get the fine waived. When I was pulled over recently I removed the plates straight away while the cop was there, but still had to pay the fine. Wrote a letter to the police but they responded saying that there was enough coverage in the media to know they were illegal and that I should have "done research" before purchasing them, so it was decided that my fine wouldn't be waived.

Interesting that you got 14 day period to sort them out and get the fine waived. When I was pulled over recently I removed the plates straight away while the cop was there, but still had to pay the fine. Wrote a letter to the police but they responded saying that there was enough coverage in the media to know they were illegal and that I should have "done research" before purchasing them, so it was decided that my fine wouldn't be waived.

It always is a case by case situation.

I got a letter from the LTSA saying that my car had been reported by the police and if i do not remove my illegal plates i will get a $500 fine.

Edited by 5-Points

I got a letter from the LTSA saying that my car had been reported by the police and if i do not remove my illegal plates i will get a $500 fine.

Likewise. Obviously a new ploy. not impressed with their style. Looks like it`s back to the red origional HELLBM plates.

post-1470-1241409432_thumb.jpg

Funny, the writer of the letter is from Bussiness support services

Ha that's priceless. Maybe put that with the petition?

Filled my car up tonight at BP, the attendant asked me whether I had gotten a ticket for my plates yet..he said his mate got stung a few days ago. Welly BS members beware...keep your standard plates on you <_<

Filled my car up tonight at BP, the attendant asked me whether I had gotten a ticket for my plates yet..he said his mate got stung a few days ago. Welly BS members beware...keep your standard plates on you <_<

Your non NZ manufactured plates probably cannot be read by the new BP plate recognition system...

^ Probably, I never thought of that. Still, would rather a $150 fine than pay 400+ for real ones.

^ Probably, I never thought of that. Still, would rather a $150 fine than pay 400+ for real ones.

3 fines and you might aswell have bought genuine ones...