Sign in to follow this  
nutter

525iconvert to 540i

Hey there

i have a Manual 525i e34 with a M50 motor in it the motor is still prett good and the car is still wofed

i have been offered a e34 540i dereg for $800

i was wondering would the subframe just bolt out so i could convert my 525 to a 540 or is there alot of cutting and welding needed for the motor to fit.the 540 is hole and runs so i have all parts to just swap if it possible

-basicly just wondering with out cuting my engine bay am i able to convert my e34 525i to a 540i if ihad a donnor car

thanks gareth

Why not just swap the goodies over from your 525i and re-register it or is the 540i beyond repair?

you will need to swap the brake system incl abs pump , brake bomb ,hydro brake booster etc etc , lots of wiring also you will need to swap trans and front section of wiring loom over too. a bit of a major , would be easier if it was manual .

also rear end diff etc .

basically everthing ....

easier to fix the v8 up , but hey they dont cost much to buy these days 540i 3k-5k

hey there yeah i was looking 3-8g on trademe for a 540 e34

does any one have any part of the very RARE E34 540i MANUAL or does any one know of what gear box i should be using and belhousing ect,

I heard some one on Bimmer rote one off i was wondering do they still have the Computer/master cylinder/pedals/brake booster if its different

so yeah I want to Have a Manual 540i COULD ANY ONE HELP

I would imagine it would be quite complicated as Brent says.

Pretty much everything under the car would need to be swapped over. All very well if you have the time, space and money though.

It would be cheaper and more original to just buy a second hand E34 V8, they are out there, you just need to find them.

Guest Simon*

I heard some one on Bimmer rote one off i was wondering do they still have the Computer/master cylinder/pedals/brake booster if its different

so yeah I want to Have a Manual 540i COULD ANY ONE HELP

The crashed 540iLE that was parted out recently was picked up very quickly at auction and ALL the manual conversion parts have been used.

You simply won't find the parts to convert an E34 540 to manual here in NZ. The gearbox from your 525 will NOT work with the M60 V8 motor either I'm afraid and as Brent said you would need to swap lots of the other major systems over from the 540 too.

The gearbox required for a manual conversion is this one S6S 420G

just been at a local panel beater , and he has fitted a lexus 4l v8 and auto in to a e34 525i , what a mess, and it still doesn't drive . has brake issues , lots of wires to sort, and will still have to change diff, axles , sort exhaust etc etc.

he has had it sitting around for about 4years uncompleted now the cars are pretty worthless.

a lot of work when you consider you can pick them up for about 3-5k now .

i only think its worth it if you stick the engine into a smaller car like a e30 ,e28 or e36 etc but you would need the manual gearbox and that will cost you plenty $$$$$

i only think its worth it if you stick the engine into a smaller car like a e30 ,e28 or e36 etc but you would need the manual gearbox and that will cost you plenty $$$$$

Exactly what im doing as we speak. And for the record bmw v8 gearbox is many many $$$$, shipping is massive too