Sign in to follow this  
Huttey

Sounds Expensive

Car started blowing heaps of white smoke, checked water and antifreeze both o/k, low on oil, filled up oil, now sounds like its running 6 cylinders with the engine continuing to blow smoke, engine image is flashing on left hand side of dash, take out dip stick and a lot of air getting sucked in through dip stick tube.

Any ideas ? before I take it to the doctor.

Who best and not too expensive in Wellington or any knowledgeable mechanics looking for a home job.

Nothing wrong with running on 6 cylinders :D

Unless it's a V8.

Oh....

bad luck, sounds expensive.

Has anyone any ideas on why the dip stick tube is sucking a lot of air, I thought someone with a mechical background may know what this would generally point to. Can a lack of oil result in blown head gasket, oil is not milky and water is o/k.

Nothing wrong with running on 6 cylinders :D

Unless it's a V8.

Oh....

bad luck, sounds expensive.

oooo, nasty ;)

jokes aside; isnt there a air valve on the back of the motor,this thing craps out on V8 apparently

yes will be the PCV valve..common m60/62 problem..dipstick removed on engine creates huge vacumn leak.....

yes will be the PCV valve..common m60/62 problem..dipstick removed on engine creates huge vacumn leak.....

plus 1 .

pcv at the back of the inlet manifold (old diapham colapses).

will let oil from the top of the rocker covers into the intake system .

Just had the same thing happen on my 1998. Was just over the $500 mark for me.

Just had the same thing happen on my 1998. Was just over the $500 mark for me.

wow .

about a $150 part and about 2 hours to do the job

I was quoted just over $180 for the part and a 4 hour job as per this thread:

My PCV Valve Thread

Which went with what I had seen on other forums. I wasn't too stressed. I have a warranty :P Still had to pay $250 for the excess though.

Not knowing what is actually the problem I'm hesitant to move the car at the moment. Has anyone in Wellington a code reader I could borrow, that is if this problem does register a code ?

Not knowing what is actually the problem I'm hesitant to move the car at the moment. Has anyone in Wellington a code reader I could borrow, that is if this problem does register a code ?

It will come up with Oxy sensor out of scale codes and/or damaging cats

Guest Simon*

Is it a really lumpy/rough idle? Plenty of vibration?

These were symptoms when my PCV went as well

It sounds like it's running on about 4 cylinders, indications are either PCV or head gasket but no tell tale signs like milky oil or big loss of water, so I thought getting the codes read would be the best next step, I am hesitant to drive it anywhere to get them read though, hence the question if anyone in Wellington had a code reader I could borrow.

Edited by Huttey

I honestly believe your best bet is to just take it in. If you are worried about the problem get the service agent to tow the car in as apposed to driving it there. The missing cylinders suggests to me that it is more than the PCV valve, but this is only because I didn't have that.

I had:

Blowing smoke while not under load. Not little puffs, huge plumes of smoke.

Squealing (noise coming from the back of the engine).

Terrible idle.

High oil consumption. I.E. just over half full (on the dipstick) before I headed to Hamilton. Pulled into Levin, I was warned to check oil level. Well below the low mark. Just over 1,000KM though I only noticed it 50KM before then (blowing smoke)

I can't think of anything else.

But I suppose the missing cylinders could be caused by fouling of the spark plugs if a lot of oil has gone through the engine. You say it is running low on oil and I would suggest that amount of oil wouldn't be good for spark plugs.

Thanks Darkwolf, I thnk your right

I'm sure you'll find it just needs a new PCV valve, a set of new plugs, clear the fault codes and adaptions, road test...recheck for fault codes and you'll be back on the road again. We do a couple of these every month with the same syptoms as yours... stop worrying and just get it fixed

I'm sure you'll find it just needs a new PCV valve, a set of new plugs, clear the fault codes and adaptions, road test...recheck for fault codes and you'll be back on the road again. We do a couple of these every month with the same syptoms as yours... stop worrying and just get it fixed

Thanks Glen hope your right

Thanks Glen hope your right

I'm sometimes wrong as well... hard to do this on a keyboard (diagnose peoples problems)