Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Z3 short shift conversion

Has anyone done this???

I've been looking at E30 Zone and it looks fairly simple and straight forward

tips, comments?

Guest Spargo

Z4 3.0 is the notchiest, then Z4 2.5, Gus has M-Roaster (correct?) Which is the hardest to fit, requires sheet metal bending. Z3 1.9 is the best for hustling at higher revs, according to those in the know.

yes....i have

for you it would be easy...you only have to bend the shift rod if you have a harmonic balancer (you dont)....i just added another plastic cup to raise it slighly...ive got the z3 M lever....love it aye...first thing thats going on the new car. i might try the z4 3. just for a change...wouldnt bother with the z3 1.9....looks like a waste of time

post-5-1099540714.jpg

Cheers for the Gus, do you have the part number for that Z3-M lever???

nope used to....PM glenn he has etk...my comp lost it :(

i like the z3 m lever..about the same height as stock (closer to steering wheel) and its short.....i hate driving stock shifts now

Judging by that then the Z4-3 sounds like a good one to go for...really need to try out the different lengths first :wacko:

Got a pic of your Z3-M lever to give us an idea of its height in the car?

Or, you could do it the cheap way.

Cut the shaft between the ball and the linkage point, add in a little piece of Al and get it welded back together, you could even get the bit you chopped off stuck back on.

MZ-3 25 11 2 228 384

My ETK doesn't cover the Z4's

I have done what Glenn has just sugested works sweet and was free... yehaa though could use some new plastic spacers..

Cheap bastards :rolleyes: haha, I don't have welding facilities so i'll do it the $100 way

BTW, can anyone tell me which lever this part number belongs to??? 25.11.1.434.148

Haha if you could see my welding skills u would deffinitly go the $100 way... It will be redone when I put the new box in couple of weeks hopefully..

Hmmm, can anyone tell me whether or not the Z lever conversion will or will NOT work for all types of the g/box/lever assembly thingees, I don't have the manual to explain what i'm talking about, but it's what holds the bloody lever assembly in place and is mounted to the chasis behind where the lever comes down and connect to the g/box.

Mine is the one that's different to Tim's and Tane's, it has a fork rather than a circle....

Anyone know what i'm talking about??????

as in you have an aluminium one and tim has a sheet metal console?

ive got the sheet metal one too....the aluminium does work, i think you do need a special tool of some description to get the plastic bushings out though...but apart from that its mighty similar...who knows...give it a go and let us know how you go