Sign in to follow this  
antony

Hillman Imps?

Sold some tyres to a guy down here, not sure if he's a bimmersport member, had an e36 on style 5's B)

Anyway, he was building a Hillman Imp with an Integra engine in it, and putting the tyres on 15x10's!

That thought has stayed in the back of mind ever since, anyone got any info/pics/price/stories on Hillman Imps?

I would ask my good friend google.

I like Imps - awesome little Rear engine / RWD. There was a very cool looking one at a hill climb I went to a couple of years ago - it looked like it was going 200kph standing still ... which is good coz it kept breaking.

I used to work on them when they were new. Also owned a very modified lime green one

I used to work on them when they were new. Also owned a very modified lime green one

When they were new!! Seriously they are very cool cars when done right though

When they were new!!

Yes... new... I worked for McDonald Halligan in Panmure 1969-70.... I worked on Hillman Imps, Hillman Hunters & Chrysler Valiants

I have many fond memories of Hillman Imps as a couple of my mates had them when we were at Uni. Good little cars, light weight, all ali rear engine, very tunable - when running!!

We even took one engine out for a re-build and carried it up three flights of stairs for my mate to work on in his bedroom in halls!!

A lesser know and sportier production version was the Sunbeam Stilletto, with a fast back coupe style body, very nice. I would guess 90% of them have either rotted away or gone to the scrappy due to reliability. Shame.

I also remember watching one at Brands Hatch leaving 7.0ltr Camaros, etc for dead, very funny.

I BUILT them when I was a little nipper.

Todd Motors in Lower Hutt :P

also has a v4 version Yup the good old capri/transit motor

I like Imps - awesome little Rear engine / RWD. There was a very cool looking one at a hill climb I went to a couple of years ago - it looked like it was going 200kph standing still ... which is good coz it kept breaking.

Was that a sky blue model with a slight "chopped roof"

If so, it is owned by a guy here in Tauranga.[ he is a very competent driver on the track ]

It now has a mid mounted turbo'd scooby engine in it, & it does very respectable lap times

Yes it probably was Kerry - I don't remember exactly what colour, but that rings a bell. It was about 2 years ago.

Poor guy had a series of problems on the day.

Yes it probably was Kerry - I don't remember exactly what colour, but that rings a bell. It was about 2 years ago.

Poor guy had a series of problems on the day.

The car has a bit of race history that goes back to the old Levin track days.

When he bought it , it was hanging a Nissan engine off the Hillman transaxle.

Two years ago, would have been about the time he had just transplanted the Scooby engine [ All transplants have "teething problems" ]

It is sorted now, and is really flying