Sign in to follow this  
javlin

replacing E34 engine

Hi, I'm new to this forum. My 535i's water pump failed which resulted in blown radiator hoses, blown headgasket and, we think, a piston has ben dragged. (nasty deep knocking sound at front of engine when it runs) . We have obtained a second hand engine and are planning to do the swap ourselves. We are old car enthusiasts and have lots of mechanical experience but have not worked on anything this modern before. I am wondering if anyone who has done this already could share any tips, known problems to look out for etc before we start. We have the Haynes manual. Thanks.

I've heard continuously over the last couple of years that the Bentley service manual is a lot better than the Haynes.

Should help a lot more.

Is 61MB, E34 Bentley Service manual.

Disclaimer: This document is to be used only for reference. If you like what you are seeing, please support the author and purchase the real paper copy from Bentley Publishers. No warranty is stated, implied or applied to either the book, server or your vehicle.. Neither the author, the owner of the server nor I can be held responsible for any damages or injuries your incur through improper usage of this manual. Always contact a qualified BMW mechanic if you are not confident enough that you can complete any task described here. The server on which the document is hosted is not owned by me and I am in no way affiliated with it's owner. The link posted here can be removed by either me or the administration upon the request of the publisher, but I have no way of removing the document from the internet. Resale of this document is punishable by law and possible jail time. Void where prohibited by law. Download at your own risk.

sorry to hesr of the problem,prolly the only way you will kill a M30 engine...I hope the engine you bought is is not suffering the same problems.Unless the donor is written off i cant imagine why a M30 hasnt got a home.Bentley manual is the best

i pull the motor and trans out in one bit .

post-279-1242502317_thumb.jpg

post-279-1242502401_thumb.jpg

:lol: are those monkeys swinging that one in or out???

rough, sooooo rough

Hi, the donor car has been written off (accident damage to left front). Thanks for the tip about the Bentley manual. I'll look for one.

You can download the PDF Bentley service manual Nick has put up.

Right click on it then go Save Target As... It is a biggish file at 61MB.

You can download the PDF Bentley service manual Nick has put up.

Right click on it then go Save Target As... It is a biggish file at 61MB.

Thanks for that. I tried left clicking on it before you posted your message and nothing happened. I then did a search on the net and found it and downloaded it.

Yeah, I've been doing the same as I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the same soon! Hope the replacement goes well!

I Agree depending on what your donor motor is swap it with trans attached makes it alot easier

just watch out for damage from your sump when putting it in bent my lip on my engine bay, i was fine to i got it most of the way in and had to jimmy it the rest of the way

next time i will be carefully doing it as it will be worth alot more dough lolz.

have fun and dont worry easy as pie

I Agree depending on what your donor motor is swap it with trans attached makes it alot easier

just watch out for damage from your sump when putting it in bent my lip on my engine bay, i was fine to i got it most of the way in and had to jimmy it the rest of the way

next time i will be carefully doing it as it will be worth alot more dough lolz.

have fun and dont worry easy as pie

Hi the replacement engine is exactly the same as the one coming out. ie both 535i. Thanks for the tip.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. My 535i's water pump failed which resulted in blown radiator hoses, blown headgasket and, we think, a piston has ben dragged. (nasty deep knocking sound at front of engine when it runs) . We have obtained a second hand engine and are planning to do the swap ourselves. We are old car enthusiasts and have lots of mechanical experience but have not worked on anything this modern before. I am wondering if anyone who has done this already could share any tips, known problems to look out for etc before we start. We have the Haynes manual. Thanks.

W are working on unclipping the wiring at the moment and are have problems with a thick cable which starts underneath the loom on top of the cylinderhead and travels behind the manifold to a screw junction. This junction is too big to thread back up to the top of the head. We cant see how it is joined at the loom end. Any help appreciated thanks.

Edited by 1930 Dodge

m30 engines are easy, As Brent said pull motor and box together.

The loom can stay on the motor , Just disconnect it from the Ecu end, fuse box and the battery . Leave loom on the motor and re use the donor engines loom if its there. Or swap the loom over while engine is out of car if new engine has no loom , Makes it alot easier.

to stop damage to the engine bay lip use a trolley jack under car to lift gbox untill you get the correct angle to get it out without touching car. (you will need car up on 4 stands to do this) also set your engine hoist to around .5 ton the engine is only 150kgs and the box maby 50kgs. You will need the extra length from your hoist for lifting the box and engine together.

Edited by 323e30

m30 engines are easy, As Brent said pull motor and box together.

The loom can stay on the motor , Just disconnect it from the Ecu end, fuse box and the battery . Leave loom on the motor and re use the donor engines loom if its there. Or swap the loom over while engine is out of car if new engine has no loom , Makes it alot easier.

to stop damage to the engine bay lip use a trolley jack under car to lift gbox untill you get the correct angle to get it out without touching car. (you will need car up on 4 stands to do this) also set your engine hoist to around .5 ton the engine is only 150kgs and the box maby 50kgs. You will need the extra length from your hoist for lifting the box and engine together.

Thanks for your tips. Where is the best place to lift from?

The engine mounts look too far forward to get the weight balanced. Also are there any gearbox mounts? I cant see any, unless they are right on top. We took off the crossmember under the drive shaft universal, and undid the uj, but no sign of mounts. Also separated the selector change cable. Anything else we have missed? Thanks