Sign in to follow this  
tire

Winter white e30 project: Zender 323i

So I did like 1300 ks over the xmas period. Observations:

- Idle is too high. Starts off around 1800 then drops to around 1200 when warm.

- Exhaust fumes are real smelly, like petrol smelly

- The above two things lead me to believe I have an air leak after the air measuring thing, thus making my car run rich.

- The 3.15 diff is... interesteing. Pulls only 2350 @ 100 which is FA for an e30. Means it does 110 in 2nd just before the revlimiter (WA highways often run a 110 speed limit). While researching the upper limits of 3rd my tyre went pop but I'm guessing about 175 in that gear.

- Acceleration is pretty lethargic. The motor does nothing under about 4000rpm then it comes on the power and makes a really sweet noise and pulls happily for the next 2 thou. vtec yo.

- It gets hot after a few sets of lights so I replaced the fan clutch after work today with a "good" 2nd hand one but it hasn't worked. Will flush radiator and install a fan shroud next

- Brake pedal is too hard - vacuum booster is leaking. I bled / flushed the brake fluid but it didn't do much to help.

- The check light thing is really handy!

- I need thicker oil - currently running 10w40 which it uses a bit of.

- Engine mounrs need replacing, a job which I may or may not do before I leave.

- Pod filter is giving me the shits but I haven't been able to get a hold of two matching halves of an airbox yet. grr

Tips or whatever are welcome :D

Max

I think an air leak after the airflow meter thingy would make it run lean.

If it sucks more air through the leak, rather than losing it through the leak?

^ oh yea tru.

The ICV is so hard to get to and clean on these!

^ nah man, this being a very early e30 it has the water heated valve type icv, which one cant get a toothbrush into. I'm planning on converting to electronic idle control with a motronic m20 intake elbow and icv. See below

Posted Image

I got a full matching interior. Its pretty nice although I would have preferred recaro fronts. The back door cards and front armrests / handles are sprayed black, they were blue. Retrimmed parcel tray.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, my square basketweave got sort of repaired although its not perfect. Strictly rear wheel use. Its soo good to be rid of those terrible tri spoke ish abortions.

Posted Image

Pod filter gone in favour of a stock arrangement with a k&n panel filter. I experimented with a pfl 325i afm but it wouldn't fire.

Posted Image

mt1 front resprayed and fitted half arsedly over a few coronas.

Posted Image

While playing with the intake side of things I discovered my tps was always on cause the throttle damper and idle screw were wound on too much, so I fixed that and should now be getting much better economy at idle (even though its still on 1000rpm)

And @ Jfry, yea air leak would make it leaner, my bad.

Max

Edited by tastic

Oh I see, learn something everyday. Are you still planning on selling it before you come back to Welly?

Oh I see, learn something everyday. Are you still planning on selling it before you come back to Welly?

Yea, but im getting curious about how much it would be to bring it over cause I do like this car and its going to be hard to sell with so little time :(

I just boiled my icv to test the valve and its working fine so that crosses that off.

Does anyone know if LE jet e30s are supposed to have an oxygen sensor?

cars are worth way more in auz, your better off selling up.

cars are worth way more in auz, your better off selling up.

Yea too true.

I'm going to edit my postbit info now. So much fun!

Got this kinda cool photo the other day with one of them big fancy cameras. I had no idea what I was doing but the pics still look a squillion times better than the ones taken with the little digicam.

Posted Image

Whoa, replies! Thanks for the kind words.

Simon - the bug is actually a suck camera car as its super stiff and bouncy. But it is photogenic. A cool little car I rekon.

Posted Image