Sign in to follow this  
APT

Matt Black Bumpers

Ok well im thinking of painting my bumpers Matt Black has anyone on here done this before ?

Just want to see how it looks , Can you pls post pics if you have

Cheers

I've painted all the trim work on the 205 from a gray to a satin/mattish black. The painting was done via K&H satin black bumper spray and i did all trim work on the car in under a night (takes 5 min to dry) that included removing, wet sanding, drying, rubbing down with meths, 2-3 coats of spray... 

gray:

Posted Image

Black:

Posted Image

Edited by DRTDVL

^ I used the same paint as DRTDVL on my e30's bumpers, that K+H Bumper Paint is good stuff

Edit: Pics.

I did mine gloss black:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also recommend a good cut and polish a few weeks after painting, makes the color a lot more uniform.

Edited by Forrest

^ Cheers Nick, have you not seen the maroon missile in my project thread :D

Back OT :D again

I have, but I don't think I've ever looked at a page with exterior pictures. I'll have to have a read of the entire thread sometime. :)

Back to those black bumpers!

Thanks for the pics guys will give it a go this weekend if the weathers good <_< what sort of front lip do you have on the maroon missle?

I sort of need one to finish off the front end

^ Cheers Nick, more exterior pics will be added in a few days :D

To OP just remembered if you are going to paint them make sure you get all the old wax off the bumpers first with meths + wax/grease remover otherwise the paint wont stick..found out the hardway. A little pre sanding helps too

Thanks for the pics guys will give it a go this weekend if the weathers good <_< what sort of front lip do you have on the maroon missle?

I sort of need one to finish off the front end

That lip is a pre facelift 325i (note oil cooler cut out) front lip cable tied to my facelift car, didnt last long spun the car into a gutter and cracked it in half, has a normal pre facelift lip cable tied again on it now, is a bit lower to the ground, but I think it looks cooler than the small as facelift one, drops the look of the car heaps.

Good luck with the painting, throw some pics up when your done.

The method i found to be the best (done a few trim panels now):

1) Rinse all trim pieces to get bug, big dirt chunks, and spiderwebs off

2) using 600grit wet dry sandpaper with warm water (so your hand doesn't freeze) and a little dishwashing liquid (small amount) wet sand the trim pieces - keep them very wet.

3) dry trim pieces either air dry or becareful and use a hairdryer to speed up process

4) wash/rub down with meths to remove wax/polish/crap/etc... and leaves a good surface for painting

5) spray trim panels. the K&H (from Repco $18 a can - i used 3 for whole car) either gloss like Forrest or satin black like me. The K&H stuff has a plastic primer premixed so you don't need to worry about that.

6) let it dry and reapply as needed... i found 2 coats was fine...

this pic i did the rear slam panel and bumper... might be a bit clearer for how the satin comes out

Posted Image