Sign in to follow this  
entscheidend

Ned new rotors/pads

ok - Brake Lining message has come up and I presume it stating the front...

Do I replace with

Zimmerman

BMW Genuine

Brembo

Balo

Other

Anyone have any feedback on using non BMW?

Requirements:

Quiet - no squeek when braking at high or low speeds

Brake dust (none would be nice)

Needs pads with sensor to be compatible with Check control

What should I get?

Have used Brembo OEM spec rotors and as far as I could tell they were as good as original BMW. Haven't used Zimmerman but from what I've read on the US forums they are as good as the Brembo.

AFAIK OEM pads are always dusty but don't squeal - if you don't want the dust you'd have to go aftermarket. Pad wear sensor is a separate part that slots into the brake pads so just get one from BMW.

Btw the sensor tells you about the pads and not the rotors so you do not necessarily need new rotors, have a look at them first.

I can totally recommend EBC Redstuff - 3000C Series pads. I have done numerous track days and hard laps at Pukekohe ie. hitting the 100M braking marker at 230km/h on the back straight, + 20,000kms street use on them and they still are not even half worn! They work great from cold, they have never squeaked or squealed or faded once. Compared to other performance pads I have used I would rate them 8 out of 10 for price quality and performance.

EBC Brakes

Try the Performance Friction Z-Rated Material, yours is an E36 M3 so will be part number 0394.11 - really popular in the USA, extremely low dust, and excellent stopping power for street or track.

Either original M3 pads or OE spec Brembo pad and disc combo. EBC green stuff or red stuff is also good.

I must find out what pads are in mine, i've done 15,000km and one trackday on this set of brakes and they still haven't worn, (at all!)

They make a hell a squeal when hot though.

So I gather from the few posts here (and in other threads) that plain Brembo rotors are as good as the Genuine BMW, but not better. Same for the opinions about Zimmerman.

Brembo rotors are $130 - $135 per rotor + shipping (from various sources) and Genuine BMW from the dealer are $120 with no shipping (for my E36).

So I guess the recommendation would be to use Genuine BMW rotors.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Edited by volcanoblack

So I gather from the few posts here (and in other threads) that plain Brembo rotors are as good as the Genuine BMW, but not better. Same for the opinions about Zimmerman.

Brembo rotors are $130 - $135 per rotor + shipping (from various sources) and Genuine BMW from the dealer are $120 with no shipping (for my E36).

So I guess the recommendation would be to use Genuine BMW rotors.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

For a daily, with normal driving, OEM are fine. I'm using slotted Brembos from Brake & Trans ($130ea) and OEM pads and find the brakes alot better

Edited by *Glenn*

As I don't plan on going on the track*, when my M3's pads run out I plan on getting OEM again. They are more than adequate for street use and they aren't too aggressive on the disc .... and given the cost of the discs (I have the floating ones since its an Evo) I don't especially want to buy new ones.

* at the current time. That's what the race car is for, although since it isn't going I'm getting REALLY itchy to take the M3 out.

For a daily, with normal driving, OEM are fine. I'm using slotted Brembos from Brake & Trans ($130ea) and OEM pads and find the brakes alot better

Glenn, when you (and others) say OEM you are meaning from the BMW dealer, correct?

Can we standardize on the terminology, since as I understand it, OEM does not necessarily mean from the dealer.

When using the term OEM don't a lot of aftermarket manufacturers mean made to original equipment manufacturer specifications? Not that the specific part that they are selling is the same part they make and sell to BMW?

Glenn, would you consider the brakes are better because of the slotting or because they are Brembo?

cheers

Edited by volcanoblack

Glenn, when you (and others) say OEM you are meaning from the BMW dealer, correct?

Can we standardize on the terminology, since as I understand it, OEM does not necessarily mean from the dealer.

When using the term OEM don't a lot of aftermarket manufacturers mean made to original equipment manufacturer specifications? Not that the specific part that they are selling is the same part they make and sell to BMW?

Glenn, would you consider the brakes are better because of the slotting or because they are Brembo?

cheers

OEM = Dealer or the original manufacturer that made the specific part for the vehicle.

The brembos are probably better because of the cooling you get from being slotted. I dont get any fade and they feel the same even after alot of heavy braking.

OEM, or original equipment manufacturer, means the parts are made by the same manufacturer that make the 'genuine' parts the dealer sells. They are usually a much lower price because they dont get 100% put on buy the dealer.

Id say in 80% of the cases Ive bought OEM, the parts have had BMW part numbers stamped on them anyway !

Edited by Penry