Sign in to follow this  
bravo

windows mpga audio codec needed

Even with some flash video editing software I still can't edit the video I have of my e30. This is ridiculous as both the software and the camera are Sony.

So a bit of research leads me to the cause -the video is encoded in xvid and the audio in mpga. I have downloaded an xvid codec and I can now get the video to display in the editing suite, but I cannot fond an mpga codec.

Any ideas??

BTW it plays fine in VLC.

Never heard of that Audio codec to be honest. Is it known as something else maybe?

download CCC codec pack, install it. use the media player on that. works for everything. also installs WMP codecs

Doesnt the CCC codec pack also install a whole host of other codecs you dont need ? When your messing around with codecs the last thing you need is too many !

I dont know alot about gspot but wont that only tell you what you already know, thats its encoded in mpga?

Perhaps try graphedit and 'connect to local graph' when your running the video to tell you exactly which codecs the program is using for both video and audio. You might be surprised to know that although you may have loaded something it might not be used.

A quick scan on the web suggests that AC3filter will handle mpga and I use that on my HTPC so try it and see. although I only use it for decoding DTS.

Edited by Penry

During the install you can select which codecs you want.

I am surprised he needs the codec. I have always used Sony cameras and have done a huge amount of editing over the years. Not once did I require a MPGA codec.

Did you get any software with the camera?

It was a borrowed camera, so no.

The audio is mpga, I know this as VLC tells you what codec it is using to play the damn thing, so mpga it is. Unfortunately VLC codecs are not installed into windows and run within VLC so unless someone knows how to pull the codec out of VLC then thats a dead end.

For those of you who have never heard of mpga, do what I did and google it. God knows why you can't download the codec though.

gspot tells me that I have the codec installed, yet it still wont play sound in Vegas. Any ideas??

Codec: 0x0050 MPEG-1 Layer 2

Just chuck in some funky homax techno beats, Forget your whiney SC noises.

:D

I only have three words to say to that: Northern Gateway Tunnels.

I only have three words to say to that: Northern Gateway Tunnels.

Oh. Pwnt.

A few suggestions/questions, Bravo:

I know it sounds daft, but have you tried opening/importing the file in Windows Movie Maker? There have been rare occasions where I have closed Premiere Pro and booted up Movie Maker because of some stupid compatibility issues.

Secondly, what sort of container file are the videos currently in? (That is, what is the extension of the file.) This might aid further suggestions.

Thirdly, you could try transcoding the video into an easier-to-work-with format like MPEG-2, with a program like Handbrake:

http://handbrake.fr/

Finally, you could bring or send the files to me and I can try to mess with them.

Hope one of the above works!

Edited by tsamb

So explain what you are wanting to do? simply?

are you by chance using a sony camera with sony vegas?