Sign in to follow this  
badman

m42 rebuild help

im an considering a rebuild on the M42. after carefull consideration over an engine swap that i had lined up.(due to expense).. so maby turbo the stock motor as turbo, intercooler and know how all avalibale to me for free

car is 1992 318is. the engine has 310,000km

So this is the start. any info on parts, prices and where to get them would be alot of help i am in Dunedin. i can do all the work myself.

I talked to bmw parts and they told me to pull out a piston and get the number off it first. i would rather have all parts on hand for when the motor is pulled as it would be easyer to do over a weekend than over a month, or 6 waiting for ordered parts.

i just plan to do the basics, pistons, rings and bearings. maby more after inspection of valves and crank and head

also where can i get the steal pipe that the thirmostat sits in/against. my plastic one is chipped at the end.. water pump and oil pump would proberly be a good idea to but he'll see how they look. as the tappits will get a little noisy sometimes then gose away again.

parts list, prices would be a good start and way

other suggestions are welcome but i dont want do go over expense on something thats not worth the time of $ eg forged pistons. as i gather a couple of thousand for a rebuild and remap should cover it

Are you doing the work yourself? If not... "a couple of thousand" won't cover it. More like 3-4k for the work you want to get done. Would be much simpler and a whole lot cheaper to ditch the worn out 310k engine and swap in an M42 with much lower k's. There's plenty of them around.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read carefully... you are doing work yourself. However, may still come out cheaper to pull the engine and put a fresh one in.

Edited by _Mark_

i have some good low km M44 engines do an upgrade while your at it to 1.9L

the idea of an engine swap for an m44 sounds good, just one question will the computer for the m42 run that or will i have to get one to run that engine? im asuming i'll need to get a diffrent one to run it

yes there are a few differences .

see photo.

post-279-1244154770_thumb.jpg