Sign in to follow this  
briancol

My new in car system

Several weeks ago I started a thread asking for information about a sub woofer speaker I was given.

I was given a lot of information about the speaker, however Peter (Pjay) introduced me to a friend of his and a fellow Bimmersporter (Jafa and proud) who built and installed my system.

I am wrapt. Hayden built a sub box which he custom fitted to the boot of my car (and I can still get at the spare tyre) and supplied all the other components. They include: Sony Xplod head unit, Adzest (Clarion) 400 watt, 4 channel Amplifier, Nakamichi 5.25" mid range speakers, Alpine type S tweeters, Alpine crossovers, and of course the Cerwin Vega VMax 124 sub woofer.

The tweeters in the door are still there but disconnected, rear speakers are still in place but only driven by the head unit, and the Nakamichis have taken the place of the OEM's in the front footwell.

This is a window shaking system and I love it. To demonstrate the system to people, I always play the theme music to the TV show 'Overhaulin'...... Gasoline by King Harold, and it goes down a treat whit most people.

Thanks to Hayden and Pjay for all their help.

post-2989-1244152722_thumb.jpg

post-2989-1244152791_thumb.jpg

post-2989-1244152856_thumb.jpg

post-2989-1244152920_thumb.jpg

Yeah, sounds real good Brian.

I cant take any credit really. All I did was drink some of your Heineken's :) Glad to help out! See you at the next East pub meet.

BTW if anyone else wants any sound work done, Haydens good for it. Designs and builds decent sub boxes too. As a matter of fact, the particular box he built for Brian as you can see, is ported. But Hayden designed it in such a way that the response curve is completely flat, so it sounds equal to if not better than a sealed box, but with more output, thanks to the port. Tops!

Good stuff! Play Dirty Diana on there Brian. That's what I tune my systems with. That and Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville - Don't Know Much

Peter, the drinking of Heinekins was a very important part of installing the system, otherwise how could we have tuned the system properly.

apologies for the 'out of focus' pics too.

Looks Sweet, I might be looking into getting a sub and upgrading my components before the end of the year.

Nice setup Brian. What was the reasoning behind running Nakamichi mids with Alpine crossovers and tweeters? Is the Nakamichi a better speaker than the Alpine mid? Interested to know because I need some decent 5.25's for the E30.

Nice setup Brian. What was the reasoning behind running Nakamichi mids with Alpine crossovers and tweeters? Is the Nakamichi a better speaker than the Alpine mid? Interested to know because I need some decent 5.25's for the E30.

The Alpine mids we had were 6" speakera, and although we could have fitted them in, it was decided that the Nakamichi were a better sounding proposition.

Nakamitchis are decent yes. And are rated above Alpine Type S's.

The midbass Brian has upfront from those 5.25's blew me away. Put my Vifas and Soundstream Tarantulas to shame :'( But then again, I haven't amp'd them yet :D

You could yes, but wouldn't stage as good. Tweets where they are means staging on the dash and some of the harsher frequencies being cut out.

Looking good Brian, glad your enjoying it

I wouldn't mind popping by and giving it another tune and tidying up the wires at the amp more, just having trouble finding time going from no official employment straight to 2 jobs, you got me just at the right time :lol:

And for those that are asking: Initially the plan was to use the Alpine Type S mids in the kicks, but firstly as far as I could see, it would have been a lot of work to get some 6.5" mids in there (standard is 5.25") and may have led to the kick trim panels being cut up so losing the stock/stealth look, and also I just happened to note a friend of mine selling some Nakamichi 5.25" mids on their own for a good price so went with those. The Naka's are a higher spec than the alpines so should sound better as well. I know from experience that the Type S tweeters are very nice sounding tweets so hence my decision to keep using them. As pjay said, the Nakamichi's have loads of midbass even though they are quite small speakers, but they are being fed 100Wrms a side which is very decent and would help a lot with bass production, overall clarity/quality and lack of distortion

Edited by jafa.and.proud