Sign in to follow this  
bmwsparkle

CAI

i imagine it could be worht it i dont know much about this kinda thing but if it give u better air flow to the rest of the engine its gotta be better

better aceleration maybe

i dont think it would be a huge job to do so why not?

Do it properly with an engine your size and you will probably get a couple of HP out of it.

It will also sound cool.

Cheers

well cooler air and more of it is always going to be better performance wise, but there are problems with piping thats to long and / or to many bends, also getting your engine water locked if you have a full true cai, not just the short ram, then with the short ram there is the problem of heat soak into a alloy pipe in your bay (also full cai has this same problem).. and also the ambient heat that will be drawn in if there is no heat sheild for a short ram type set up...

what they reckon is a short ram, to help avoid to long plumbing, and water, with a heat sheild to avoid any under bonnet high temps, a thermal coating / layer over the pipe to avoid heat soak and plumbing from the front of the car up to the filter for a ramming effect.

should give you a gain... (read: should)

i have a full cai and have noticed a large difference in throttle response and a nice tone was there too :P.. butt dyno gives it a little extra, nothing amazing but worth it

do a test.... DYNO TIME!!

:D

i havent test mine, with rangi short ram set up it was at 92wkw, so i should go get a retest to see if its up or down

the factory BMW cold air ducting its pretty good...a K&N panel slots straight in, looks good and i would say offers 90% of the performance of a pod...sure a pod might go a little bit better but it can look kinda rangi....your call though....K&N panel saves having to make up cold air ducting as well

i rkn looks f*cken cool.

so best way is to coat piping in eitha heatwrap or heat reflective paint?

then heat sheild, what material should i use to make that? just some sheet metal? could be reflective.

then obviously pod behind the light

the factory BMW cold air ducting its pretty good...a K&N panel slots straight in, looks good and i would say offers 90% of the performance of a pod...sure a pod might go a little bit better but it can look kinda rangi....your call though....K&N panel saves having to make up cold air ducting as well

I agree.

My pod (Gus's old one) offers no performance enhancement at all.

However I do need to shield it properly (which I will get around to).

It does sound cool thuogh!!

Cheers

I'm all for a decent CIA. Cheap as chips and easy to do...

E30's have been realatively blessed when it comes to CIA installation, only need a tiny bit of extension piping.. Making a heatshield over Christmas when I have access to the tools, Using the existing stock pipe which goes into the airbox to blow onto the pod.

Should be phat.

Got this link off NZHondas.com http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/ Worth the read.

so are the "14hp" gains true? may be for a skyline with restrictive standard intake etc, but wat about mine, i cant be bothered spending (priced up custom, gna be bout 300-400) quite a bit of money wen im not gonna get much and i could save a while longer and get sum headers etc

wat do u guys think? save and get headers?

sparkle

so are the "14hp" gains true? may be for a skyline with restrictive standard intake etc, but wat about mine, i cant be bothered spending (priced up custom, gna be bout 300-400) quite a bit of money wen im not gonna get much and i could save a while longer and get sum headers etc

wat do u guys think? save and get headers?

sparkle

what the f**k?

$300 for a custom??

first thing you only need like a U bend of piping, get it from any metal shop, cut to shape, get some ducting from your front to the start of your filter, get some rubber joiners, FBI auto should have them, clamps etc and a filter, brands dont really matter to much, you mainly pay for the name. just get a decent one. stick it all on and away you go, should be no more than $150 max

i purchased my aftermarket full cai for $150 delivered

Yo i have a BMC CDA (for sale) http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp for my e36.

Posted Image

I thought that it made a huge difference in sound and (this might have been in my head) throttle response.

It was kinda funny at times id go wow shes wants to go alright, haha you had to be there.

Mine was a pretty big rig but was kinda an interesting piece of kit under the hood, if you read about the CDA its pretty awesome.

Before this i had a BMC panel filter (also for sale) which worked but cant say that i really noticed anything, would you expect to is the question.

Ill be getting a panel for the e46 and then move on up to another CAI most likely the SSDD kit Posted Image

Ali, can you bring your CAI bits you've got for sale on Saturday for us to have a gander at, might make you a sale :D

what the f**k?

$300 for a custom??

first thing you only need like a U bend of piping, get it from any metal shop, cut to shape, get some ducting from your front to the start of your filter, get some rubber joiners, FBI auto should have them, clamps etc and a filter, brands dont really matter to much, you mainly pay for the name. just get a decent one. stick it all on and away you go, should be no more than $150 max

apexi or K&N pod $100-150-200

talkd to metal places, cant offer me offcuts to make heat sheild, sheet of aluminum = $100

then piping + heatwrap $50-100

what the f**k?

$300 for a custom??

apexi or K&N pod $100-150-200

talkd to metal places, cant offer me offcuts to make heat sheild, sheet of aluminum = $100

then piping + heatwrap $50-100

they cant offer you off cuts? lol shop round dude.

heat wrap? not really needed but sure

A hundy for a sheet of aluminium.... Jesus, you need less than 1m2.. As *sic said, shop around.

I need like 4cm of plastic tubing then I'll be sorted...

I wouldn't believe the 14hp gains.. although depends on how restrictive the existing setup is (which in BMW's usually isn't to bad) If you've got a latermodel BMW (e36+) you can always debaffle the airbox (rip on it's innards) to get some decent sound and allow the air to flow through a bit better.

Yeah *sic, we've got 2 hondas... 84' Civic with no interior and a boring as 92 accord. :unsure:

Edited by Surge

go for a drive then, it still would be cheaper than paying 100.. man i would have just laughed in the dudes face when he said $100 with a straight face..

:thumbsdown:

go back and kick him in the nuts for me

Ali, can you bring your CAI bits you've got for sale on Saturday for us to have a gander at, might make you a sale :D

Not a prob ill bring them, cant say that the CAI will be cheep though :unsure:

cant really shop round in damn hicktowns... damn holes

hahaha, f**k man you get more ripped than a chick when you go "shoppin" haha

where the f**k did you go anyways?

Well ive gone straight for the CAI from SSDD and should arrive in about a week, ill post pics when installed :ph34r: