Sign in to follow this  
mackt

E39 Headlight Adjusters

Hi

Just failed the WOF - front right adjuster broken - seems to be a common problem. Talked to Ray at HellBM and Ross at BM Workshop and learnt that there is a potential fix. Have been to the local dealer and have ordered the $20 repacement part.

The dealer warned that the fix rate is about 40%. Having a look online I see a few comprehensive DIY articles - all seem to be with the non-angel eye lights - I have angel eyes on my 2000 540i.

My plan is:

1. Remove headlight

2. Remove all the wires etc

3. Heat headlight unit at 90 degrees C in oven to soften the glue around the lens cover.

4. Be very patient and quietly remove the lens cover, reheat as required.

5. I think the angel eye rings are glued on too so may need a second trip to oven - hmmm fan bake or standard!

6. Then it's a case of removing the light reflectors etc to expose the broken bits

7. Replace

8. Reassemble

9. Get warrant

Anyway has anyone else done this - any tips, advice or pitfalls.

I guess since the fix is 1% of the cost of a new headlight it's worth a "crack" - that may not be the right word!

Thanks in advance

Tim

Edited by mackt

Hi

Just failed the WOF - front right adjuster broken - seems to be a common problem.

Anyway has anyone else done this - any tips, advice or pitfalls.

Thanks in advance

Tim

I know allan has had some experience of this with his e39 530 Edited by kiwi535

We fix them all the time...its no big deal. If its got orange lenses you dont need to heat them up. They come apart...but you do have to know what your doing

That's odd... the last time I checked (admittedly it was a few years ago) BMW did not sell replacement adjusters for the angel eye headlights, only the pre-facelift. There are aftermarket adjusters available though. I have opened the lights but haven't replaced the broken bits... at the time there weren't many sources yet.

I'd fan bake at a lower heat to start with and try to separate first, put it back in and try again if not.

The hardest bit was separating the lense from the body (I used a hair dryer, it should be much faster with a heat gun or after being in the oven) and removing the reflector from the housing. I don't know how Glenn does it, but DIYing it took a bit of force... I sat on a chair facing the sofa, pushed the housing with my legs while pulling the reflector. I might have used string to get a grip on the reflector, can't remember. Using the sofa or any other soft surface ensures you don't send the housing flying when it suddenly comes apart.

Can't remember having any trouble with the angel eyes, so I don't think they're glued on.

This will be useful:http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/catboy/headlight_adjusters_e39.pdf

All done - nice and easy

Light off car into box - courier to Glen at Botany Motor Worx - box back and light back onto car.

Just got WOF !

Thanks for everyones help

Tim

It is a really simple job that takes about 10 minutes no heat wire disconnection or other extraneous actions required done both of mine a couple of years ago

Depends on the type of headlight Ron... we do some ourselves...but some we cant do.. like Tims. There are no adjusters available. The guy that does them for us has to make the adjusters

Glad to see you have it all fixed good on you Glenn

as mentioned I have opened up a few of the face lift Hella headlights.

Yes Penry I have had one failure that was due to the wrong materials being used by someone to reglue it prior to my trying to re open it when the adjuster broke that unit ended up a total mess.

Yes I have bought the adjusters from the dealers for the face lift headlights

What worked for me

1. Remove headlight from vehicle

2. Strip all rubber components/ bulbs etc don't forget the two screws in the side of the light unit holding the clear cover

3. Remove screws and self leveling motors these have a ball at the end of a shaft look into the headlight to see which way these fit and with a little juggling you can disconnect them

3. Pre heat and oven to no more than 90c, can use a hair dryer need to be more careful with the heat though

4 Place whole unit in oven for 5 minutes

5. Have a clear work space and flat pry tools ready putty knife, flat steel rule etc

6. Remove from oven and place on bench, us a cloth then check to see which area of the lens is the easiest to pry off Work slowly around the lens releasing the retaining clips as well as you go remove the outer clear lense

7. Then remove the inner cover to reveal the reflectors and angle rings etc.

8 Using the headlight adjusters now totally unscrew the adjusters fully the reflectors by now should be floating and able to be removed from the black plastic headlight back.

9. Remove all broken pieces of the old adjuster check every place for bits'

10. To save you a possible problem I cut a new thread in to the adjuster by using some grease and the headlight adjuster shaft ,clean the adjuster.

11. Fit the new adjusters in their sockets on the reflectors and slide the adjusters reflectors assemble into their appropriate grooves.

12 Reassemble the headlight just check to see how sticky the sealant is before fitting inner cover and lense etc if not then re heat it

As stated that is what worked for me cannot take any responsibility for it if it turns to custard sorry. Some I have found to be easy other a right pain in the bum best of luck.