Sign in to follow this  
e34m5e34m5

BMW E34 M5

Hi, i am a huge fan of the e34 m5 (the one from ronin), just wondering how many of these we have in nz?? Because im definately buying one when im out of uni and got a real job :rolleyes:

i remember reading somewhere that only 4 were sold here new...

Also, are there any 6 speeds in nz, and how do they compare with the 5 speed (in terms of performance/reliability)?

no 3.8L 6speeds sold in nz .

there are few import m5's from japan ,singapore and uk etc .

few have sold on trade me recently from $12k to $20k etc

including 2 that where built up from using a 520i 525i body with all the running gear from non compliant LHD m5 from japan

Getting back to post...............you could bring a 3.8 6 speed in from uk or asia under new special vehicle rules, if you really wanted something special go for last of the touring or LE models, be aware tho that all e34 touring m5 were lhd.

General consensus from those who know, is that 3.8 5 speed is best of both worlds, 6 speed box in earlier series II ( for want of better name ) was a bit fragile, and as per the e36 m3 evo's the hp claims of 3.8 were a bit optimistic, but there is very little between 3.6 & 3.8 in day to day terms, 3.8 has more boggie no doubt, but uncertain if there are any here currently................3.6 is lots of fun and not a hardship to live with to be fair...............

The alternative is the Hartage b10 bi-turbo, 360 bhp tonnes of torque & rarity value better than m5

Look up piston heads uk to see what is about at the mo or uk auto trader

Have fun & start saving fella..........

Cheers

Edited by Penry

is that 3.8 5 speed is best of both worlds, 6 speed box in earlier series II ( for want of better name ) was a bit fragile,

Cheers

3.6 wa the 5 sped,3.8 is the 6 speed.

AFAIK all the bi turbos were LHD

if the S38 needs work be prepared to spend big bucks

3.6 wa the 5 sped,3.8 is the 6 speed.

AFAIK all the bi turbos were LHD

if the S38 needs work be prepared to spend big bucks

Yeah, s38 can be exy if not maintained, but improved over first gen in e23, e24, e28...... as had double timing chain and sundry other improvements.............

And beg to differ, early 3.8's were mated to five speed box..............

End of the day any e34 m5 is better than no e34 m5 eh............

Cheers

Keep the handbags to yourself fella's. The first comment was innocuous enough, although how much it brings to the discussion is arguable....the rest has been removed.

End of the day any e34 m5 is better than no e34 m5 eh............

Cheers

No

535is is better than no E34 M5, and the price difference to get a m5 e is not worth the extra to ME!

No

535is is better than no E34 M5, and the price difference to get a m5 e is not worth the extra to ME!

Easy Tiger, not havin a go...............simply saying if you were looking to buy one what model you go for is secondary to the enjoyment of owning one....................

As an everyday driver 535is is more practical and cheaper in every aspect of mechanical side of things, but to be fair it aint quite the same........90% but not the 100%

But then the same can & will be said about the m325 vs m3 e30's 635 v m6 m535i v m5 e28 etc etc etc

End of the day, if you love your bemmer enjoy fella.....................

Easy Tiger, not havin a goEnd of the day, if you love your bemmer enjoy fella.....................

totally true....would like an e34 M5 just for the fact that it is a M5 and they were so rare and ...But cold hard facts is i cannot justify the $$$ to get a minter (which i would want) then not drive it!

Hi, i am a huge fan of the e34 m5 (the one from ronin), just wondering how many of these we have in nz?? Because im definately buying one when im out of uni and got a real job :rolleyes:

i remember reading somewhere that only 4 were sold here new...

Also, are there any 6 speeds in nz, and how do they compare with the 5 speed (in terms of performance/reliability)?

Hey Mate,

I have never owned a E34 M5, but have had a 535is, and love them. One of my close friends has one of the finer E34 M5's around.

These are the cars I know of in NZ (if anyone here knows of any others, please inform us):

Macao Blue - NZ new ; in Whangarei.

Red, cream leather, - ex UK - Auckland

Grey with grey leather - ex UK, Auckland

Grey with Turbine wheels, no rear spoiler, Whangaparoa - Ex UK?

Alpine White, M cloth / leather ex UK -Auckland

Alpine White M cloth / leather - NZ new - Auckland

Alpine White , turbine wheels, no spoiler, ex Sth Africa- in Hawkes BAy

Blue 1992 - NZ new - Wellington - 3.8 but 5 speed???????

Black 1991- black leather ex Singapore - Sth Island

REd, m cloth / leather - ex Uk , Sth island

I think there are 2 or 3 more, but not sure where there are.

Additionally, as pointed out earlier, there are a few cars which have M5 DNA but are not quite the real thing.

In terms of the E34 3.6, they seem to be pretty reliable if serviced meticulously. M power suspension can be a expensive affair if you are looking to replace the shocks - hence many owners switch to Eibachs etc.

Don't have the same issues with the old m/88's achilles heel - the timing chain as they are duplex. Some owner still replace as a precautionary measure.

Overall, pretty solid build and strong engines even with high mileage.