Sign in to follow this  
kiwi6539

Advice on buying a E36

Hey all

Im looking at getting a e36 for my partner.

Thinking of a 316i 318ti or maybe something bigger. Are there any common faults to look for on a E36?. I will get a check done by my mechanic, but before I get to that stage are there any things to take a good look at?

Also if anyone has a 1995-1997 3 series for sale in the wellington region let me know.

Cheers

Google "E36 buyers guide" .... results will tell you all you need to know.

the cooling system

if it's auto ... the jatco jerk - it'll flare between 1 & 2 + 2 & 3 (usually between 2nd and 3rd is the worse) + it'll be quite jerky changing the gear - this is for the Jap imports, I believe NZ new cars used a different box

the climate control unit (if broken it just does what it wants to ... 1 minute it'll be full blast hot, then next minute it'll be full blast cold, that sorta stuff) - guy on trademe fixes them for $100

the display control panel below the climate control - sometimes the characters wont display (pixelated), can be fixed easily using double sided tape

electric windows jerk up and down if you hold the button ... window still goes up but you need to keep pressing the button rather than holding it ... another easy fix (just a magnet that falls out of place)

the fuel flap lock

Don't let this stuff put you off though, I've had a few of the common faults and I still love my car :)

Although the mechanical warranty (with no excess) has really helped out big time

edit - check out this thread http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=377

Edited by Wom