Sign in to follow this  
jochen

Daytime Running Lights

NavCoder can now program the followig Daytime Running Lights options on BMWs:

ECE-DRL (lowbeam, plus parking- (side)-lights/taillights), standard in Europe

DRL-Lowbeam only (no taillights)

DRL-Dimmed-Highbeam (no tailights). You can set the brightness value from 0 to 50%

A lot of people with Xenons wish to switch off ECE-DRL and change to dimmed highbeams, so as to preserve the life of the very expensive Xenon bulbs. Now with NavCoder, you can do this.

DRL is also now legally required in some Euro countries as it is a big safety improvement.

DRL simply means: you don't have to remember to turn your headlights on during the day, the car does it all the time. And then turns the headlights off when you turn the key off.

Valid for any BMW with LCM from coding index 18 to 30 - which means

E38, E39, X5 (E53) from around Sept 1998 onwards

E46 pre-facelift

X3 and Z4 - not sure, you'd need to check the LCM CI version

Edited by jochen

Nice work Jochen - I for one am keen to give this a crack. I was considering getting some LED aftermarket DRL's, but this is a much nicer (and cheaper) solution.

Great work Jochen. How does the 'dimmed highbeam' function work? Run halogen highs at a lower wattage?

The dimmer uses PWM (pulse width modulation) to vary the duty cycle.

This in turn reduces the average voltage and thus reduces the light output

The amount of power used also reduces

Edited by jochen

Will give this a crack tonight and report back :)

thanks

Sounds cool... would be nice if i could have my lights on all the time at the turn of a key however.

(allways use park+foglight)

Sounds cool... would be nice if i could have my lights on all the time at the turn of a key however.

(allways use park+foglight)

That's exactly what DRL is.

Choose DRL-ECE otion and lowbeam+taillights are always on when the car is on.

Note: you're not allowed to have foglights on all the time, this is in conflict with the traffic regulations.

Will give this a crack tonight and report back :)

thanks

Hi Josh - don't code if you have LCM coding index 31 or higher. Let me know what you have.

That's exactly what DRL is.

Choose DRL-ECE otion and lowbeam+taillights are always on when the car is on.

Note: you're not allowed to have foglights on all the time, this is in conflict with the traffic regulations.

Hmm, I would set this, but my car is much too old for that :D

I diddn't know that it was illegal to have your fogs on all the time... Seems a bit silly imo... Unless they were giant foglights like 4WD's have.

I diddn't know that it was illegal to have your fogs on all the time... Seems a bit silly imo... Unless they were giant foglights like 4WD's have.

Most countries have folglight laws that translate to "use foglights when it is foggy"

ie: when not, don't use them

The size of the light (giant 4WD, mini Twingo) makes no difference

The rear fog light is the especially dangerous one - can be blinding for the following drivers

LTSA says:

Fog lamps should be used when visibility is severely reduced – eg by snow or thick fog. They give out a short, wide beam of light that shines underneath the fog, lighting up the foreground and helping the driver see the sides of the road better. Don't use fog lamps when the weather is clear, as you could dazzle other drivers.

Rear fog lamps make the back of the vehicle more visible in fog. They are very bright and likely to dazzle drivers behind you, so they should also only be used in foggy conditions.

Personally I think they have the "dazzle other drivers" part with front fog lamps wrong.

Then, in their other doc, they state:

"On the road

Fog lamps should only be used when visibility is severely reduced, eg by snow or fog. It is against the law to use fog lamps in clear conditions (day or night) as they can dazzle other road users."

There you go. Permanently on front fog lamps are not allowed in NZ.

Mine are "Driving lights" not "Fog lights" :D

ohhh - that's even worse. They'd really blind the oncoming traffic.

I think the words you are looking for are "daytime running lights" :-)

So what cars is this avalible on?

Agree with Jochen & has been discussed here before:

Law on front FOG lights being illegal in good weather is an ass - they are a permenently dipped light casting a low flat beam & when set properly & checked at WOF - they cause NO dazzle/glare to oncoming drivers & could easily qualify as a good aid for being seen by others. Check them on a beamsetter - no more glare than dip beam.

Muppets that fit uncontrolled beams & not connected to high beam control (in effect driving lights) into spoilers for the "look" are the ones causing problems & if all WOF inspectors were astute enough to police these then we wouldn't have a problem.

However rear fogs in clear weather are a pain in the arse - hard to distinquish from brake lights & amazing the amount of people driving with them on & completely oblivious to this & not even aware that the car has them.

Law on front FOG lights being illegal in good weather is an ass - they are a permenently dipped light casting a low flat beam & when set properly & checked at WOF - they cause NO dazzle/glare to oncoming drivers & could easily qualify as a good aid for being seen by others. Check them on a beamsetter - no more glare than dip beam.

There is a school of thought that you need DRL's to create some glare so you can be seen.... Same goes for stop lamps - you need to create discomfort to really be seen.

So what cars is this avalible on?

E46

E39

E38

X5 E53

Z4

X3

...and all later models do have DRLs as well, but NavCoder cannot program the newer cars.