Sign in to follow this  
danj

Leaking water into cabin :(

I had my car parked on about a 30 degree incline yesterday evening, front of car pointing downhill. It was parked there for a couple of hours, in reasonably heavy rain. When I got back into the car I noticed the gear shifter / area around it was wet.

Further investigation found that the water was running through the inside of the stalk of the rear vision mirror (where the wires are for autodim), and dripping off the bottom of the mirror. Carpet around the area on the roof appeared to be dry.

Help :(

(1994 e34, electric sunroof)

Im not entirely sure about the e34 but generally the sunroofs have a pair of holes at the front corners where the water is supposed to drain out and at the back aswell.

Open the roof and have a look in the front corners. An e38 as little floats that block the holes to stop leaves etc getting stuck in there but Ive only seen them on e38's. So all sorts of rubbish can get in and block the drains.

Get a water bottle and slowly squirt it into the hole, you should see it drain out somewhere around the front wheel arch. If it doesnt drain you have a blockage. Either a very long piece of wire or a squirt from an air compressor should do the trick.

A blockage will mean the water builds up until it starts leaking in via the sunroof mechanism itself. Usually you get soggy front footwells but water will get in anyway it can.

Incidently the seal around a roof is only for wind noise and keeps the majority of rain out but not all of it, hence the drains.

as above .

but also have seen some where they have had a gap in the windscreen sealant which allows water to leak in

as above .

but also have seen some where they have had a gap in the windscreen sealant which allows water to leak in

Ah I just noticed that gap there, I'm sure there used to be like a cup thing covering it... can anyone with an e34 confirm that they have a small connecting element in the center of their windscreen at the top?

edit: The connecting element is still there, and I'm sure the car has always had the gap and never leaked. I'm thinking sunroof drains partially blocked, so parking on a slope caused an excess of water to flow to the front ones.

I will have a look at them tomorrow.

Edited by danj

Ah I just noticed that gap there, I'm sure there used to be like a cup thing covering it... can anyone with an e34 confirm that they have a small connecting element in the center of their windscreen at the top?

edit: The connecting element is still there, and I'm sure the car has always had the gap and never leaked. I'm thinking sunroof drains partially blocked, so parking on a slope caused an excess of water to flow to the front ones.

I will have a look at them tomorrow.

no i mean a gap in the sealant where the glass is stuck to the frame , not the outside trim bits .. but most likly you sunroof basin overflowed

So the situation has got much worse, as I mentioned the water was dripping down from the rear vision mirror, what I didn't realise was that it must have filled up inside the mirror, my central locking no longer works and nor does the auto dim function on the mirror. I guess the electricals got corroded :(

Is there any way to take the mirror out / apart to try and dry it out, i think there's still water in it.

edit: I got the mirror out, the connectors are rusted... opening the mirror unit itself up now... I guess I'm going to be up for buying a new mirror unit, though I doubt I can even get them new?

And I'm still not sure what caused the water to come through the way it did :(

part # for mirror 51168193885

Edited by danj

turn the mirror 120deg to remove , be carfull not to crack the glass

turn the mirror 120deg to remove , be carfull not to crack the glass

Thanks, I removed the mirror, but is there anyway to open it up to help it to dry out, i removed the 3 screws but it still seems stuck together pretty well...

Anyone got a replacement mirror for sale :(

Thanks, I removed the mirror, but is there anyway to open it up to help it to dry out, i removed the 3 screws but it still seems stuck together pretty well...

Anyone got a replacement mirror for sale :(

i should have one .

so have you checked the sunroof drains yet , or is it leaking around the windscreen

i should have one .

so have you checked the sunroof drains yet , or is it leaking around the windscreen

A 94/95 540i one? I think they were different to the others, my car has the infrared two button remote and the sensor is on the mirror, as well as the autodim obviously.

Haven't found the leak yet, the car is always garaged so when it is sunny i will get it out and have a look

A 94/95 540i one? I think they were different to the others, my car has the infrared two button remote and the sensor is on the mirror, as well as the autodim obviously.

Haven't found the leak yet, the car is always garaged so when it is sunny i will get it out and have a look

do you have a picture of it

cheers

I gave one to Ray a while ago. Might still have it, although it might not be exactly the one you want. Was brand New. Might pay to give him a call.

Thanks for your guys help, I left the mirror in front of the heat pump for a couple of hours to dry it out, put it back into the car and it seems to be working! so fingers crossed it stays that way. Now I need to find the source of the leak...

i should have one .

How can I check to see if the windscreen is the cause of the leak?

All the water came through the cable route for the rear vision mirror, does this give you any info as to whether the leak is more likely to be sunroof or windscreen?

Could the car being parked on a slope simply have caused the rain to spill over the sunroof drains and into where the cables are run (if they even pass through that area?)

Thanks for the help!

why dont you park it on a hill , get some one to hose it down , sit inside , pull the interior light box out and the sunroof switch panel and have a look to see where it drips in , maybe use a torch so you can see.

Posted Image

why dont you park it on a hill , get some one to hose it down , sit inside , pull the interior light box out and the sunroof switch panel and have a look to see where it drips in , maybe use a torch so you can see.

Posted Image

The leak was coming through a gap in the seal in the windscreen, like you had suggested, cheers :)

Took it to the mechanic and got it sealed up.

Central locking / alarm etc started working again after i removed the mirror and dried it out, fingers crossed it keeps working. (sorry Ray!)