Sign in to follow this  
mark247

e36 door card repair cost / help

My cars drivers side door card is pretty stuffed. It's black vinyl all over. The centre piece of vinyl which surrounds the door handle has lost it's stick to the door card which has popped off the door handle surround. Also the entire door card is sitting loose on the door. I replaced the white clips which attach the bottom and sides of the door card but the top rail of clips which attaches it to the top of the door shell have all broken ( the plastic parts. ) This top rail of clips is part of the actual door card so I cant just replace it.

I was thinking of tryiing to fix all this myself properly but I really think all I am going to do is leave it in a bigger mess than it is already.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get this fixed professionally? And where should i go in the Hamilton or Tauranga region?

I called wreckers to try and find replacements but there are none which aren't like mine, I guess they all do this.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

I used some popsicle sticks (not used ones) , wood glue and g-clamps to repair the broken part at the top of the door card. Then I carefully prised the metal clips open a bit more for a more secure fit.

Vinyl centre part can be replaced at an upholsterer, or you can have a crack yourself with some 3M spray adhesive and material of your choice. Obviously it will be hard to match the vinyl correctly, so you may have to do all four cards.

dont go for the 3M spray adhesive. it like many other products looses it stick quite quickly then you have to start all over again. from experience i recommend the ados f2 brush on adhesive, it is very good for problems like these.

dont go for the 3M spray adhesive. it like many other products looses it stick quite quickly then you have to start all over again. from experience i recommend the ados f2 brush on adhesive, it is very good for problems like these.

Thanks for the tip. Will purchase some this week. My door cards could use (another) spruce up.

Im thinking I might just go into an auto upholstery place and see what they charge, if it isnt too steep i might just go with it. If it is, I will certainly have a go with the stuff you guys have recommended. I kinda have a knack of stuffing stuff up like this so yeah..

When i had mine done (in chch though), I took the card off and he did the whole lot, This included replacing the sagging cloth with some decent stuff, Charged me $60 per card so i thought it was cheap and got him to do all 4 doors for me.

When i had mine done (in chch though), I took the card off and he did the whole lot, This included replacing the sagging cloth with some decent stuff, Charged me $60 per card so i thought it was cheap and got him to do all 4 doors for me.

Awesome. I thought it would be a lot more than that. Sounds like a deal.