Jimocles

GET A SPARE KEY

had my keys go missing in Palmy along with my cellphone

6hours and $400 later I had a new key

and could finally go home

all in all a really crappy day

on the plus side, it took a locksmith 3 hours just to get into the car

short of smashing the windows, you can't get into these bad boys easily

so the Moral is Have a spare key, dont just keep thinking "oh I must get round to that"

Doesn't help if you have an alarm but only one alarm setter thingee, I have the spare key but what use is that if the car is going to go beep beep imobilise on your bad ass :lol:

Bugger sorry about that man….

I got a quote from the BMW team in town about ½ a year a go now.

1997 E36 M-teck = $929 +GST for a key from the mother land :(

They said that it has a chip or some thing it that tells the car that it’s a ok key ??? wtf???

Dose some one know of a cheep place to get a key made or to buy one?

Guest Andrew

Bugger sorry about that man….

I got a quote from the BMW team in town about ½ a year a go now.

They said that it has a chip or some thing it that tells the car that it’s a ok key ??? wtf???

They were ripping your ass off - they are cost $400

Yeah i think you got majorly ripped off there !

An E46 key is only around $470 or something ....

I dont know about the transmitter or chip or whatever it is - I got my 1995 E36 325 key cut for $35 at the local lock smiths. And that works sweet - there doesnt seem to be any chips...

My two keys have chips/transmitters in them that synchronise with the ignition when I start the car each time.

My understanding is that even if I were to get a key cut, without the transmitter in the key the car wont start because it knows the key isnt the original.

Thankfully I have two of them so lets hope I dont forget to replace the batteries before they go flat !

Cheers

Martyn

All the newer cars have Chips in the them, i don't know about your 7Series key but mine and my parents car key charges itself as soon as you stick it in the ignition and start the car, i beleive yours should do too ..

I don't think any of the 1995 E36 had the chips in them yet, cause with my old car there wasn't a chip either and i managed to get the keys cut for $5 cause i had a lock smith friend .. hehe ..

yeah i came accross this when i went to get my alarm..

the dude there asked to see my key..puts in inside this tester thingie with all the chip brands,next to LED's.

the phillips LED lights up and the dudes all like 'wow :o ...you got an expensive key there man..dont loose it!'

My parents 92 E36 had just a normal key in so maybe its only on 96+ or different models\build locations etc :unsure:

and the battery doesnt matter...it works like a metal rod in a copper coil..you basically put your key inside the EM-field and it powers up the chip..

correct key :thumb: - engine start :D

so howd you get a key cut...you have to take in a door barrel for the locksmith to match to?

B) When I bought my E46 back in 1999, I got 6 keys!!! So anyone with a Jap import should basically have 6 keys. 2 remote keys, 2 regular keys, and 2 really small plastic keys.

For E46 there's a immobilizer chip in the key so it's really expensive to replace, also if you drop it real hard the chips gonna get buggered.

Guest Andrew

B) When I bought my E46 back in 1999, I got 6 keys!!! So anyone with a Jap import should basically have 6 keys. 2 remote keys, 2 regular keys, and 2 really small plastic keys.

For E46 there's a immobilizer chip in the key so it's really expensive to replace, also if you drop it real hard the chips gonna get buggered.

You can turn on the alarm with the correct combination of turning the plastic key in the lock - i.e left left left right right seems to be it for quite a lot of new Range Rovers (which are BMWs). Then you don't need the chip at all.

Yeah, 96+ cars have the DME chip.

I lost my master key the weekend I received the car (yeah, I know). BMW said - $400 + 21 days ex Germany... not good since my car was parked in an Ak City carpark... as it turned out I left it on the bar at Centro... I walked the street all day Sunday (in a poor state) trying to retrace my steps. Bar manager at Centro said I could have them back for free if I took him for a spin... me = "no problem buddy".

Don't lose your DME coded key...

hmm yea not realated but i saw you the other day on great north road i was behind you

oh yea p.s dont loose your key always buy a spare!

i just bought a E46 and it came with only one key.....went to bmw the other day to order another one......$418.55 and i have to wait for the key to arrive which they told me about 10 days

Guest Andrew

i just bought a E46 and it came with only one key.....went to bmw the other day to order another one......$418.55 and i have to wait for the key to arrive which they told me about 10 days

brand new e46? Tell them to shove thier one key up there ass. They so lost your spare.

They so lost your spare.

but they sure as hell aint gonna say so!

tell them to buy a new one as you should have one