Sign in to follow this  
keen

e36 radio nz

Has anyone got a nz freq radio oem to fit into a e36 I think 1997 or 8? Ask me if I have not given enough details.

its the old story of Jap import.

Has anyone got a nz freq radio oem to fit into a e36 I think 1997 or 8? Ask me if I have not given enough details.

Readily available on ebay Germany

Tape or CD

Readily available on ebay Germany

Tape or CD

Jochen I have never tried to buy from ebay. would it not be a more expensive way than trying to get one here somewhere. also would there be a language problem on german ebay?

Jochen I have never tried to buy from ebay. would it not be a more expensive way than trying to get one here somewhere. also would there be a language problem on german ebay?

Thanks to Google I can read and write 42 different languages - and you can too.

So don't give me that weak excuse of "Sorry I cannot speak the language" :-)

Expensive? Depends on your luck. I've landed E36 radios for as little as $50NZD and as much as $300 NZD.

All depends on popularity.

If you have a CD changer, and want the NZ radio to listen to the radio, then get radio-tape - they are the cheapest.

Hi,

I think I may be able to help you.

Turn the radio off and then back on.

Keep "m" pressed (10-12 seconds) until it shows you the serial number of the radio. This "m" button is the same button that you use to manually tune the radio frequency, and should be inbetween the "<" and ">" buttons.

Once it shows the serial number, you are in service mode.

Now you can cycle through all the different service mode options using the "+" and "-" buttons.

Cycle through until you get to the option that says AREA: JAPAN

Now you can use the "1" button to cycle through the different areas, so choose Europe or Oceania.

Thats it! Now press "<" or ">" and the radio will automatically restart, and the frequency band range will have changed from 77-90 to 88-108.

I have done this in my OEM E46 business CD, and I am hoping it will work on your E36, because although BMW changes the fascia between the two generations, the software update only accounts for very little change between different versions.

My car was imported from Japan, and due to the lack of this knowledge the dealer installed a band expander!

Apologies if this does not work on the E36, but it might be worth a try :D

Good luck!

PS. Yay! my first post!

I have done this in my OEM E46 business CD, and I am hoping it will work on your E36, because although BMW changes the fascia between the two generations, the software update only accounts for very little change between different versions.

The reprogrammable radios appeared after September 2001.

So if the original poster can find an E36 radio (eg: out of a Z3 or so) that is a new-gen radio then he can reprogram it

Otherwise, it the OP wants an original 1997 radio, it will be a Euro-model only

I recommend the Business RDS Radio/Tape, cheap and readily available on ebay Germany.

Otherwise go for the Radio/CD.

I think I may have a band expander at home that I'm not using which you could have (if I can find it lol).

I'll have a hunt around tonight after work.

I think I may have a band expander at home that I'm not using which you could have (if I can find it lol).

I'll have a hunt around tonight after work.

thankyou very much for that offer but I have now got another nz radio