Sign in to follow this  
Wervie67

speakers in doors? anyone tried it?

have found it a hassle to find (nice, cheap) 5.25 speakers to fit in the stock position in my e30. wondering if anyones tried to fit them into their doors (cut holes, wire everything, including tweeters).

had my door panels off today to take a look. seemed to have found a place just under the window winder,

just need to know (From experence) how easy it is to wire. and to cut holes etc.

maybe someone knows of an article? speakers will probally be JVC CS-FS60.

Thanks

Edited by Wervie67

I'm going to attempt it, i allready have 6.5" speakers, so need to use em :)

can be done in the rear doors easily enough. Just keep in mind where the magnet will sit and make sure it doesnt interfere with the window winder rails etc before you cut any holes. Front doors are trickier because the rails are in the way Or the side pocket is in the way. Or if you put them beside the side pocket where they do actually fit they will be pointing at your bum so you dont get the full sound from them unless you open the door.

I put tweeters in a few years ago and just used e34 tweeter pod mounts, They go where the inner cover for the door mirrors are , It was pretty easy to mod them to fit.

didnt want to start a new thread

Just another problem i found when installing my head-unit.

The lights on the console that light up when i turn my lights on dont anymore. ive found the wire that turns them on (it was previously set up through the constant feed somehow), i am just unsure where to connect it to. if all else fails i will just connect it through the acc feed, and have them on when my cars on (rather than just when the headlights are on) but would like them to work properly.

stereos working sweet though, sounds nice with my rear components (still awaiting the fronts!)

Thanks for your help

You can leave the illumination wire blanked off, I'm using it for my headunits auto-dimmer though.

You can leave the illumination wire blanked off, I'm using it for my headunits auto-dimmer though.

but none of my dash lights up when its not connected (not sure why, is it part of a circuit?), should i just connect it to acc? dont see any other way unless theres another wire im missing?!?!?!

thanks

Something must have been done wrong... I wired my headunit up, Diddn't have any of these problems.

The headunit should have, a 12v constant, and the 12v switched (when you turn the key on, fires up the HU)

Something must have been done wrong... I wired my headunit up, Diddn't have any of these problems.

The headunit should have, a 12v constant, and the 12v switched (when you turn the key on, fires up the HU)

yea yea, sorry. by ACC (accessory power) i ment 12v switched. It looked like someone had been there before me (wierd because it was still a stock HU) had been a bit of a hack job, so i will just wire up the console lights to the acc (12v switched), and just have them running when the keys in, rather than having them not run at all. just thought there might be another wire i missed to turn them on only when the lights are on, Cant see any though

i have to say, other than this light problem, it was the easiest car to wire up, so no searching for all the wires (everything is "properly" colour coded)

Thanks for your help

EDIT:

Just found this...

shows the illumination light wire go inside the head unit with the constant power wire (yellow Constant, White illumination)

does this mean the stock HU has a circuit inside it that turns it on, or am i missing something...

I now have the Illumination wire hooked into acc, works fine for now

thanks

post-4372-1247461837_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wervie67

Interesting, Mine wasn't "modern" coded, though someone had allready fitted an aftermarket headunit, and got everything right, just failed misribly at soldering. so i fitted my own headunit, and did a much neater job.

after double checking with my trusty multimeter :) good thing you have it all worked out now though.

Sorry, just butting in. Why not just make speaker pods for the doors? Thats what im going to do soon. Rather than chopping up the door trims and risking f--king it up, make a pod for the speaker & then just screw it to the door?

Have never really liked the look of pods, stick out to much and with the window winder being in the way (4door), its close enough as it is.

plan was just to cut the holes and leave the speakers in when selling it (hoping god i wouldn't fu*k it),

but just decided to fill in the stock 5.25 holes in the front with some nice components (earthquake MC-5 really nice)

Sorry, just butting in. Why not just make speaker pods for the doors? Thats what im going to do soon. Rather than chopping up the door trims and risking f--king it up, make a pod for the speaker & then just screw it to the door?

You have too.

I'm sure most good speakers would catch the window mechanisims...

I've got a good idea on how I'm to do it, I'm just lazy.

was about a 25mm spacer, so you do have to cut some of the door card.. (just so the magnet pokes through), then screw the spacer on.

25mm is my guess, will figure that out when I actually bother to do this :)

also a hole for the tweeter, unless you have the behind mirror triangle peices.

Heh, Electric Windows FTW!

Edited by antil33t