Sign in to follow this  
uwa8nc

Battery light on the dashboard flashing!

Hey guys,i woke up this morning and tried to turn my beemer on but it just wouldn't start

It sounds like the spark plugs are not firing.

But on my dash board after trying to star the car ... My battery light Flashes(red)...

What does this mean?

That the battery needs replacement?

please,do let me know!

Cheers!

Hey guys,i woke up this morning and tried to turn my beemer on but it just wouldn't start

It sounds like the spark plugs are not firing.

But on my dash board after trying to star the car ... My battery light Flashes(red)...

What does this mean?

That the battery needs replacement?

please,do let me know!

Cheers!

Have you checked the battery terminals for gunk-could be dirty

Tried jump starting?

Battery light flashing means your batteries low but you may have flattened it if it was cranking but not firing.

Have you checked the battery terminals for gunk-could be dirty

Tried jump starting?

Battery light flashing means your batteries low but you may have flattened it if it was cranking but not firing.

i didn't flatten it thats the funny thing..i don't know why it's not starting.Do you reckon i should buy a new battery.How much do they cost??

The fault could be a number of things. I think you'll need professional help with this. Where abouts are you located ?

The fault could be a number of things. I think you'll need professional help with this. Where abouts are you located ?

Hey mate,how could the fault be a number of things??...If it's just the battery light flashing??!!

Hey mate,how could the fault be a number of things??...If it's just the battery light flashing??!!

Posted Image

The fault could be being caused by any of a number of things.

Posted Image

The fault could be being caused by any of a number of things.

Ok i have just taken the battery for a check and the guy there said it could be the alternator,how do i get the alternator replaced,who do i take it to?And how much do you reckon it would cost??

Please let me know.Cheers!

You asked for help.... I offered professional advice.... you fix it then

You asked for help.... I offered professional advice.... you fix it then

I will get it fixed no doubt,but what's a good place to take it too?for a good price?

If you're so sure it is just the battery, why ask? You obviously have no idea how complex these cars are electrically - the light is a sympton and most likely won't tell you the root cause of the issue.

I will get it fixed no doubt,but what's a good place to take it too?for a good price?

Ironically, you probably just burned the person that would have given you the best deal to repair it....

Ironically, you probably just burned the person that would have given you the best deal to repair it....

Yep, made me laugh.

Yep, made me laugh.

Look guys,i am new to this site and i have never owned a beemer before...

So im guessing its the alternator and im also guessing that since you guys reckon Glenn is the best guy for the job i think ..he also took what i said in a wrong way..as for your previous comment i didn't try to burn him or say anything wrong to him in anyway..

It would be much appreciated if i could get some help with this issue as the car can't be driven anywhere and i don't know a BMW mechanic yet,or where i can get it fixed..so i am very low on options.

If i could get some help or a few places where to go and get a job like this looked at or fixed it would be really appreciated.

Cheers!

Alright mate.

Help can only start when you let us know what part of NZ you're from. Thats why theres a location thing in the profile information, it helps for things like this (It should really be compulsory).

If you're in Auckland then Glenn at Botany Motorworks comes recommended by many members and myself. Does a great job and is very helpful. He also knows what he's talking about.

Anywhere else somebody else will have to chime in.

E39's are complicated machines. Some things you can do yourself most things you can't.

Alright mate.

Help can only start when you let us know what part of NZ you're from. Thats why theres a location thing in the profile information, it helps for things like this (It should really be compulsory).

If you're in Auckland then Glenn at Botany Motorworks comes recommended by many members and myself. Does a great job and is very helpful. He also knows what he's talking about.

Anywhere else somebody else will have to chime in.

E39's are complicated machines. Some things you can do yourself most things you can't.

Cheers,mate!!

Thanks alot..I will give them a call ...Much appreciated!!

I am From Auckland...

I know you are new on the forum & BTW....welcome

There are alot of people in here with excellent product knowledge willing to give you the right advice.

I suggest you tread the water for a wee while and get to know people on the site.

On topic:

There are a number of things that can cause your problem with the vehicle not starting

(1) Battery... old, wrong type, faulty cell, loose connections

(2) Battery discharging when vehicle is locked & ECM's in sleep mode... heater fan resistor blocks are a common fault causing battery discharge over night in E39's.... does your heater fan work ? and does it get all speeds ? Does it stay on when the ignition switch is turned off ?

(3) Ignition switch faulty...another common fault on E39's

(4) Alternator...should have been evident last time you drove it (battery light on or glowing)

(5) Starter motor faulty.

Have you tried jump starting the car with good quality spike proof (safe) jumper leads ? not el cheapo's

If you try this... do it this way. Make sure the ignition is turned off (keys out) on both cars. Connect the jumper leads to the vehicle you are going to use to start your car first + to +...- to -. Connect positive lead first to your car, then the negative. Start the donor car and wait a couple of minutes, then try starting your car. If your car starts, hold the revs up at about 2,000rpm for a few minutes to allow the battery to recover and prevent spiking, then disconnect the earth jumper lead first on your car, then the positive. Turn the donor car off and remove the jumper leads. Take the car for a drive and see if it will start again... then get it checked by a professional.

If it still wont start, you will have to get it towed to a professional repairer

On this subject I would also note (for everybody), that if the battery in your cars are older than 5 yrs, replace them, especially on the later model cars as the batteries can cause alternator failures & ECM failures. Alot of the late model Euro vehicles will also tell you to change the battery on the display in the car...even when the vehicle doesnt show any signs of non starting, because the battery capacity and in/out current draw is monitored. If an alternator fails and your battery is older than 3yrs I would also recommend a new (correct type) battery is fitted so that warranty on the alternator is not void. Some companies will not give warranty on alternators if a new battery is not fitted.

I know you are new on the forum & BTW....welcome

There are alot of people in here with excellent product knowledge willing to give you the right advice.

I suggest you tread the water for a wee while and get to know people on the site.

On topic:

There are a number of things that can cause your problem with the vehicle not starting

(1) Battery... old, wrong type, faulty cell, loose connections

(2) Battery discharging when vehicle is locked & ECM's in sleep mode... heater fan resistor blocks are a common fault causing battery discharge over night in E39's.... does your heater fan work ? and does it get all speeds ? Does it stay on when the ignition switch is turned off ?

(3) Ignition switch faulty...another common fault on E39's

(4) Alternator...should have been evident last time you drove it (battery light on or glowing)

(5) Starter motor faulty.

Have you tried jump starting the car with good quality spike proof (safe) jumper leads ? not el cheapo's

If you try this... do it this way. Make sure the ignition is turned off (keys out) on both cars. Connect the jumper leads to the vehicle you are going to use to start your car first + to +...- to -. Connect positive lead first to your car, then the negative. Start the donor car and wait a couple of minutes, then try starting your car. If your car starts, hold the revs up at about 2,000rpm for a few minutes to allow the battery to recover and prevent spiking, then disconnect the earth jumper lead first on your car, then the positive. Turn the donor car off and remove the jumper leads. Take the car for a drive and see if it will start again... then get it checked by a professional.

If it still wont start, you will have to get it towed to a professional repairer

On this subject I would also note (for everybody), that if the battery in your cars are older than 5 yrs, replace them, especially on the later model cars as the batteries can cause alternator failures & ECM failures. Alot of the late model Euro vehicles will also tell you to change the battery on the display in the car...even when the vehicle doesnt show any signs of non starting, because the battery capacity and in/out current draw is monitored. If an alternator fails and your battery is older than 3yrs I would also recommend a new (correct type) battery is fitted so that warranty on the alternator is not void. Some companies will not give warranty on alternators if a new battery is not fitted.

Thanks alot Glenn,The information was spot on...

im guessing it is my alternator...

Because

*the heater fan works fine and it does get all speeds

*It dosen't stay on when the ignition is off

*So basically it could be the alternator or the starter motor...

- Only you can tell me the exact fault when the car is there with you -

although,I will give you guys a call tommorow morning to sought out the rest..(guessing my alternator Needs to be changed)

And i heard you guys do a really good job as all the bimmer sport boys have recommended.

So Now im just trying to figure out that if my car dosen't start,how am i going to get it all the way to Botany..

I wonder whether i should give the tow truck guys a call....Still debating..

Will call you tommorow though,

Thanks heapz!

Edited by uwa8nc

So Now im just trying to figure out that if my car dosen't start,how am i going to get it all the way to Botany..

I wonder whether i should give the tow truck guys a call....Still debating..

Will call you tommorow though,

Thanks heapz!

Good on you mate.

Just push it down the road, call AA and get it towed to Botany Motorworks for free! ;)

Ring Pakuranga Auto Transport 5761300 ... They do all our towing ( no damage )

Ring Pakuranga Auto Transport 5761300 ... They do all our towing ( no damage )

Thanks mate,will give them a call and get it all soughted out on Monday,Are they expensive??Just curious!

Good on you mate.

Just push it down the road, call AA and get it towed to Botany Motorworks for free! ;)

Haha,i wish ...Good idea though!