Sign in to follow this  
bellicose

Better breathing?

Hey all,

Just wondering if i can delete the panel air filter and replace with something else? The current filter is ahead of the AFM, already sorted exhaust and just want to free up the intake flow abit.

cheeRS

The BMW AFM's are fairly well designed (based on anecdotal evidence on dyno runs with and without an AFM). Aftermarket (eg K&N) panel filters free things up somewhat.

The gains realised with a pod filter are usually negated by extra heat in the intake charge (often they give worse performance than a stock system). A properly designed cold air intake with pod filter can give small gains.

Some motors respond to changes in the throttle body and intake manifold. Many of the claims are unjustified, or subjective, and it depends on your motor. There is some evidence to suggest that there is room for improvement here, but it's a bit of try it and see.

Best option on a budget bang for buck is a good quality aftermarket panel filter.

I just removed the pod filter the PO put on my car, with a factory airbox..

the standard intake on your car is all good!