Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

anyone have a getrag 260 box? (E30)

i have a 320i, and got a conversion kit off a guy saying that it was for the 320i, but its a getrag 240. i queried that with him because i believed that the 240 box was only for the 4 cylinder cars. however he insisted that it was for the 320i, and i believed him because he said his racecar (320i) used it, and also because he seemed more knowledgable on the E30s. now as put the transmition in, the pivot arm for the shifter is too long, the driveshaft too long etc etc etc. so, am i true to what i thought, it needs the 260 box which must be shorter correct? i do not need any thing else as i have everything (finally).

so does anyone have any comments or know the whereabouts of one?

thanks, andrew

Edited by ethrty320

The 240 is right, chances are that the arm and driveshaft are wrong. The 260 is from the 325, but will also fit the 320.

Guest FrantiC

got any pics of the driveshaft being too long and the shifter ?

They should fit right.

Getrag 240 that was for the 4cyl models wouldnt even have bolted to your motor.

The 240 is right, chances are that the arm and driveshaft are wrong. The 260 is from the 325, but will also fit the 320.

so the 320i come out with both the 240 and the 260 gearboxes if i understand correctly?

does anyone have a shorter arm and a shorter driveshaft? im now guessing that the donor car for this gear box would have been a 318i, and then the assumption made of the arms and driveshafts being the same. i would contact the guy but i doubt he would answer his phone to me, been having a lot of communication issues.

so the 320i come out with both the 240 and the 260 gearboxes if i understand correctly?

does anyone have a shorter arm and a shorter driveshaft? im now guessing that the donor car for this gear box would have been a 318i, and then the assumption made of the arms and driveshafts being the same. i would contact the guy but i doubt he would answer his phone to me, been having a lot of communication issues.

320i/325i will take either 240 or 260 boxes although 325 was specced with heavier 260 unit.

318i 240 box is different & WONT mate to 6 cyl cars

You must have a mismatch of driveshafts

320i/325i will take either 240 or 260 boxes although 325 was specced with heavier 260 unit.

318i 240 box is different & WONT mate to 6 cyl cars

You must have a mismatch of driveshafts

that sounds right. anyone know of one? :)

Can confirm 240/260 being good for M20, the difference is weight and ratios, 240 has a slightly closer ratio than the 260 which is what the 323's and 325's have. I run a 260 on mine, the driveshaft length thing is a case of getting the correct front half shaft with the box and mating it up correctly with grease on the spleen.

If i'm right in unserstanding your shifter arm length, it could be a case of the gearbox mounts/crossmember not being correct or the shifter in the donor was short shift and you've got a long throw, if that's the case get the Z3 shifter.

Can confirm 240/260 being good for M20, the difference is weight and ratios, 240 has a slightly closer ratio than the 260 which is what the 323's and 325's have. I run a 260 on mine, the driveshaft length thing is a case of getting the correct front half shaft with the box and mating it up correctly with grease on the spleen.

If i'm right in unserstanding your shifter arm length, it could be a case of the gearbox mounts/crossmember not being correct or the shifter in the donor was short shift and you've got a long throw, if that's the case get the Z3 shifter.

yeah i wish i knew the name for it. its the horizontal piece in this photo though. https://secure.4siteusa.com/WhatsYourConcep...fter_height.gif

That looked rude...

So the horizontal piece would be the shift lever bracket, the earlier types were a flat sheet style that you can see in my article here, either way, if the height/length isn't right you may just need to create your own bracket to hold the end of it up, I had to with mine and that's my 260 gbox you can see.

Edited by pando

That looked rude...

So the horizontal piece would be the shift lever bracket, the earlier types were a flat sheet style that you can see in my article here, either way, if the height/length isn't right you may just need to create your own bracket to hold the end of it up, I had to with mine and that's my 260 gbox you can see.

i actually used your tutorial in the swap haha. found it to be very good. okay thanks for clearing that up!