Sign in to follow this  
Shady

E30 - Locking the Diff

Is it a real bad idea to lock the standard diff in my '88 318i? Been told you just weld something and you got yourself a Locky. Its illegal (supposedly?) But what bad could happen to the car if I done it? Maybe buy one as a spare so I can use a normal non-lock diff for WOFs and the lockdiff for skids...?? :unsure:

Edited by Shady

It's a 318.

Just leave it.

haha I was waiting for a reply like that :P . I know it aint fast, but Im bored with single spins. I only do skids when its wet, doesnt even try in the dry unless people lift it up. But would like it to twinspin for once...

Thinking about it, the day I got it, it spun both wheels but left wheel was going faster than the right...but now it doesnt.

haha I was waiting for a reply like that :P . I know it aint fast, but Im bored with single spins. I only do skids when its wet, doesnt even try in the dry unless people lift it up. But would like it to twinspin for once...

Thinking about it, the day I got it, it spun both wheels but left wheel was going faster than the right...but now it doesnt.

dude lock diffs are evil they like put tension on all the parts cuz its constantly pulling trying to spin such as wen u go round corners n stuff it pulls the car...not a good idea

plus dude its a 318 wuna do two wheelers fork out for a lsd or geta 2.5 wid stock rims should do 2 wheelers easy lol

It's illegal, and unsafe, and will damage the rest of your drivetrain. Fine for paddock cars and some race cars, but not for road cars.

Do some research and get an LSD.

Thread closed.