Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Rear fog

I am wondering whats the go with my 323i and rear fog lights. Next to my main switch where the controls are for the fog lights is obviously the push switch for the front fogs but i also have the switch for the rear fog lights. The switch is there for it and its all wired up but i don't think i have rear fogs. Where the hell would they be on the back if i did have them. Pushing the button in the symbol for the rear fogs come up on the cluster but i can see nothing turn on anywhere. Anyone have any clues to this or am i missing something somewhere.

Maybe they have been disconnected for safety reasons, you dont need them. Normally they are in the light cluster.

Youll probably find only one works anyway, the R/H side. The bulbs probably blown. I rewired both my fog lights to the brake light to give me more brake lights.

Edited by *Glenn*

Start the car, turn on your headlights and push that button, walk to the back of your car, if your rear lights are annoyingly bright and you get sunburned from the red light being emitted. then they are working. You will probably notice many cars following you at night will rudely flash their highbeams at you, and then they will probably turn their highbeams on and leave them on a short while later, then they will over take you and try to push you off the side of the road when they merge back into the lane. they will most likely turn on some annoying really bright red lights on the back of their car, this is a sign that they want to kill you and you should immediately push that rear fog lamp button to turn those "I am free to be killed by someone following behind me" off.

I hope you are trying to find out if these work because you live somewhere that gets really thick fog.. and not to drive around at night to peel paint off cars and burn out other motorists eyeballs.

:lol: Nice one lance... Love the remerge squeeze.

Start the car, turn on your headlights and push that button, walk to the back of your car, if your rear lights are annoyingly bright and you get sunburned from the red light being emitted. then they are working. You will probably notice many cars following you at night will rudely flash their highbeams at you, and then they will probably turn their highbeams on and leave them on a short while later, then they will over take you and try to push you off the side of the road when they merge back into the lane. they will most likely turn on some annoying really bright red lights on the back of their car, this is a sign that they want to kill you and you should immediately push that rear fog lamp button to turn those "I am free to be killed by someone following behind me" off.

I hope you are trying to find out if these work because you live somewhere that gets really thick fog.. and not to drive around at night to peel paint off cars and burn out other motorists eyeballs.

Hahahaha good write up. Nope i have no intention of using them at all if they are there. I am like you hate being behind somebody that has them on. I was more curious as to why it would be all wired up.

Hahahaha good write up. Nope i have no intention of using them at all if they are there. I am like you hate being behind somebody that has them on. I was more curious as to why it would be all wired up.

As Glenn said, check the bulb, it may have blown.

Yup went and checked that out and yup bulb is blown, Will do what Glen mentioned and rewire for better brake lights. On a major plus side while looking around the net on the subject i noticed a post about the illumination of the main light switch, Upon taking it out sure enough there is a bulb in there that was blown also, So replaced that and hey presto my main light switch lights up, Never even knew there was a bulb in there until today. :rolleyes:

lol I had no idea there was a bulb in there either!

something for me to do this weekend by the sounds of it :)

Wiring to the brake lights is a cool idea..... might enrage the "check" though.

Wiring to the brake lights is a cool idea..... might enrage the "check" though.

When you wire up the fogs to work on the brake lights, wire in an LED from the fog light supply wire (+) wire (-) to earth to fool the check control. Leave the LED inside the rear tail light cover and dont use the rear fog switch

lol I had no idea there was a bulb in there either!

something for me to do this weekend by the sounds of it :)

When you wire up the fogs to work on the brake lights, wire in an LED from the fog light supply wire (+) wire (-) to earth to fool the check control. Leave the LED inside the rear tail light cover and dont use the rear fog switch

Its only a 5 min job to change the bulb, Philips screw at the bottom of the switch panel, Whole lot including vent just pops out, Unscrew main light cable, Pull out plastic bulb holder, replace bulb and reverse for putting it all back in again.

Thanks for that info Glenn will do

there have been a couple of occasions where i have been pleased to have rear fogs.I dont think I have ever wanted more brake lights.The fogs only work if the main lights are on...even park.Leave them as is and use when required(ie in fog or very heavy rain)

Edited by kiwi535