Sign in to follow this  
User Name

Oil / Transmission cooling

Hay Guys

Does anyone know of some Parts that i can mount into my BMW without going to supercheap etc and paying $130 for a oil/transmission cooler that i garentee wont do squat lolz.

i have oil/Trans cooler out of a honda but unless i get the piping redone o wont be able to use it, would need to reflare the ends so i can srew or place some hose onto it, any ideas would be appreciatied

Cheers

kym

Why do you want/need a oil cooler? Track specced?

I know for a Fact that either my Transmission is getting to hot or my oil in my car is,

would say its the transmission and being a manual on a auto diff its strainging it and after every drive had that great burning smell and the creaking of heated metal

so i figured i need something to cool the trans down and i know for the rest of the mods to the car the cooler i can have things running the less wear i am going to get.

You have changed the gearbox fluid yes? (The recommended is ATF, but I for one use Redline MTL.) That'll help the thermal conductivity and also reduce heat-making friction. I don't know what gearbox you have, but my 260 gets easier to shift when hot, sitting at over 4000 RPM for 20 mins kind of hot. A turpentine flush on the gearbox will also make it almost feel like new..

If it's getting hot with normal street driving (not track, or skids, etc) then there is another problem that you should solve. Otherwise you are just putting a bandaid on and axe wound.

If you do go for a cooler, there are engine oil coolers on several BMW models similar age to yours - one will likely fit.